UNF men’s soccer clinches playoff berth with 2-0 victory over Stetson

UNF forward Alex Morrell has 4 assists this season, tied for second with fellow Osprey Simen Solstad in the Atlantic Sun. Photo by Ashley Saldana

Osprey men’s soccer scored both goals in the first half of a 2-0 shutout over the Stetson Hatters on Oct.17. The win earned UNF their third straight Atlantic Sun Tournament berth.

The Ospreys have reached the Atlantic Sun Championship match the last two seasons. Photo by Ashley Saldana

With three games remaining in the regular season, UNF (6-5-1 overall, 2-0-1 A-Sun) are second in the Atlantic Sun standings behind FGCU while Stetson Hatters (4-8-1 overall, 0-3 A-Sun) remain at the bottom of the conference.

UNF men’s soccer Head Coach Derek Marinatos said the Ospreys’ shutout was a big one.

“[We are] pleased with the fact that it was two nothing, a shutout at home, three points for the conference to keep us undefeated in the conference,” Marinatos said. “Two great first half goals and I thought with our possession in the first half, we really moved the ball well with the group we put out in the field.”

At the 14:09 mark, UNF junior midfielder Milan Kovacs scored his fourth goal of the season. Kovacs’ goal came with an assist from senior forward Alex Morrell from the top of the box.

Osprey midfielder Milan Kovacs took 3 shots on the Stetson goal for the match, scoring 1 goal. Photo by Ashley Saldana

“I think we played a really good game, especially the first half and we moved the ball very well,” Kovacs said. “They could not really get close to us. A couple of times they looked dangerous on the counterattack but I think we managed the game really good.”

The Hatters had scoring opportunities with 5 shots on goal, but failed to capitalize on their attempts.

At the 39:47 mark, UNF senior midfielder Camilo Garcia scored the second goal of the game, assisted by sophomore midfielder Josh Castellanos.

Next, the Ospreys face their River City rival the Jacksonville Dolphins (3-9-1 overall, 1-3 A-Sun) at Southern Oak Stadium on Oct.24. The Dolphins are fifth in the conference.