Local music shops gear up for Record Store Day Black Friday

Stacks of vinyl records at Deep Search Records in Riverside. Photo by Patrick Grabowski
Stacks of vinyl records at Deep Search Records in Riverside.
Photo by Patrick Grabowski

Record Store Day is going down on Friday (Black Friday, that is), and the local vinyl shop is the place to be for special releases, sales and relief from deadly Black Friday mobs.

Record Store Day is usually held every third week of April since 2007. The organization in charge also holds a similar event on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Friday is a day for music and vinyl lovers, artists, store owners and their staff to come together in a celebration of local record stores, and the role they play in their communities.

On this occasion, vinyl shacks put out special releases, limited edition pressings and huge discounts. While there are several record stores throughout the Jacksonville area, only three are participating in Record Store Day: Deep Search Records in Riverside, Budget Records downtown, and Young Loud & Snotty in Atlantic Beach.

At Deep Search Records, you can enjoy some billiards while listening to your favorite vinyl. Photo by Patrick Grabowski
Deep Search Records lets patrons enjoy billiards while listening to music.
Photo by Patrick Grabowski

Deep Search Records is only in its third year of business, but it offers a contemporary hipster atmosphere unique to many music stores in Jacksonville.

“It’s a really cool vibe that is open to all people in the community,” said store owner Rich Rapp.

Aside from their impressive collection of indie records, books, CDs and a place to play pool, Deep Search also offers a sizeable cassette tape section.

Rapp says Deep Search will be having special releases, but he will be using today to determine them.

Young Loud & Snotty, located in Atlantic Beach and owned by Dale Kellerman, is in its sixth year of the vinyl-selling business. For Record Store Day, they are selling discounted logo tees.

Young Loud & Snotty specializes in punk music and has a built-in skate shop. Photo by Patrick Grabowski
Young Loud & Snotty specializes in punk music and has a built-in skate shop.
Photo by Patrick Grabowski

Although Young, Loud & Snotty feels at first glance like a punk kid’s paradise, with a skateboard shop built in, Kellerman thinks it’s important to mention the shop carries more than just head-bangers.

“I like to listen to different types of music, so I try to have different types of music for everyone else,” Kellerman said. “I don’t want someone walking in here thinking this is just a punk rock store.”

Kellerman said he will be opening up shop a few hours earlier, as he anticipates an eager crowd to be lined up before doors open.

A relief from crazed Black Friday bargain shoppers, these stores will be open to the music-loving public of Jacksonville to cozy up with a good vinyl and avoid the mess of the biggest retail day of the year. Remember: if you ever get lonely, just go down to the record store and visit your friends.