UNF sculptures to brighten up Jax Beach

statue designed by Emily Pinnell

Five large-scale outdoor sculptures created by UNF students will be displayed at a new sculpture park on June 20th at 480 1st street south in Jacksonville Beach.

The project is a culmination of efforts to support art education through this year-long installation. The development of the park provides both a platform for budding artists to showcase their work and an inviting visual space for the public.

The Lazzara Family Foundation and MountainStar Capital are assisting the university in completing this creative program by providing the land as well as $50,000 in funding for the park.

“This piece of property is now not only beautified but the sculptures can be enjoyed by anyone visiting the beach,” said Christopher Lazzara, who is the CEO of MountainStar Capital.

The artistic variety of sculptures will truly be a feast for the eyes. Some of the pieces can be seen at night since one of pieces is solar-powered and can be enjoyed by night owl beachgoers. There will also be a piece of an osprey in mid-swoop to hype up the Osprey pride (or to leave a mark of UNF). Perfect for taking sun-soaked selfies before or after a beach trip.

Sculptures were selected last fall from a pool of submissions made by UNF students. In the end, five students had their designs chosen by a committee of professional artists, art professors, a Jacksonville Beach City Council member, a Cultural Council of Greater Jacksonville member as well as a few UNF Student Affairs Community Council members.

“Public art marks a place of a destination and becomes a cultural destination and educational resource,” said Jenny Hager, associate professor of sculpture leading UNF’s sculpture program. “It’s a nice environment for families to go out and have picnics and enjoy the space. Public art adds vibrancy to a place.”

The sculptures will be installed at the Seaside Sculpture Park week before the ribbon-cutting ceremony on June 20th.