Campus cooking gets smart

Audrey Carpenter

Photo by Audrey Carpenter

The new smart burners are only installed at Osprey Landing. Photo by Audrey Carpenter

UNF Housing and Residence life is taking new measures to ensure student safety and prevent fires. They are testing a new type of stovetop burner called Smart Burners.

Director of Housing and Residence Life, Bob Boyle, said they would test the burners out this semester in the community kitchen in building Y of Osprey Landing.

A Smart Burner is different from the old-fashioned coil burners currently installed. They will heat to a certain point but remain under the flash point of oil, which is the point at which oil will burst into flame.

“It’s smart in the sense that ‘I’ve gotten so hot now I can cool off a little bit’ and then, ‘oh wait, they’re still cooking I need to maintain a high temperature while not getting to the point of flashing oil.’” Boyle said.

There are eight burners installed in Osprey Landing. Boyle wants to expand the technology into the rest of UNF’s community kitchens.

“Residents come in to use the facilities and sometimes they leave the burners on. Obviously that is a fire hazard,” Boyle said. “You want to avoid scenarios such as that, especially in large buildings.”

Although the technology is attractive to Boyle, he said this semester is a trial run. He wants resident feedback before making a commitment to install the burners.

“If students are in general not having a great experience we are going to hear about it one way or another and that’s fine, that’s why we are here,” Boyle said. “But we are going to try it out and see.”

UNF junior, Nick Morken, a sport management major who lived on campus for two years, believes that anything to increase safety is worth it.

“For most freshman at UNF, or any college really, it will be the first time cooking for themselves on a consistent daily basis without the help of mom or dad,” Morken said. “So anything that promotes the safety of the student body while preparing meals should be implemented.”

Boyle plans on getting feedback from the resident assistants and will possibly send out an opinion questionnaire to everyone living in building Y.

Sophomore Harley Horsely, statistics major, lived on campus her freshman year and thinks the new technology may not be warranted.

“I think the Smart Burners seem like a good idea since they can help prevent fires, but when I lived in the dorms last year there was never a problem with fires from cooking, so on the other hand they are kind of a waste of money,” Horsely said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Campus cooking gets smart”

1. Jenna on August 23rd, 2016 12:17 pm

I tried cooking on them last night, and I hated them. They gave off a horrible smell and took forever to heat up.

[Reply]

• Campus cooking gets smart

Honoring those lost: UNF celebrates Transgender Day of Remembrance

• Campus cooking gets smart

Ken Parker’s suspension lifted, still banned from campus

• Campus cooking gets smart

Black Friday Preview: Deals on college student essentials

• Campus cooking gets smart

Thanksgiving hours on campus

• Campus cooking gets smart

UNF spends under $1000 for extra security at anti-Nazi rally

• Campus cooking gets smart

Student assaulted over a skateboard sale

• Campus cooking gets smart

No Nazis at UNF: white supremacists outnumbered by protesters 25-to-1

• Campus cooking gets smart

Student celebrate thankfulness at Gratitude Monday amid protests

• Campus cooking gets smart

PHOTOS: UNF students protest against white supremacy

• Campus cooking gets smart

Anti-Nazi protesters outnumber white supremacists at hearing for suspended student

Campus cooking gets smart