Local Eatery of the Week: Pizza Shack

The Jaguars are catching up to the Cincinnati Bengals on the flat screen behind a lightly lit bar, an announcer’s voice serving as the background to lively dinner conversations. Pizza Shack on Beach Boulevard between I-295 and Kernan feels more like a sports bar than a pizza shop with televisions channeled to CBS and ESPN leading into football season.

Photo by Courtney Stringfellow
Pizza Shack’s faux rustic design makes for a casual dining experience on game nights. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

The faux rustic designed dining room is empty, save for a handful of patient waitresses and chefs. A couple of groups trickle in as the night continues, but the high tops are surprisingly quiet for the atmosphere. Pizza Shack just opened over the summer and, as a waitress informed me, doesn’t have its own steady flow of customers yet.

Ospreys can expect to pay $8-$12 per person at Pizza Shack. After splitting the bill with friends, my portion came out to $8.19 including an appetiser and pizza. Every Thursday is college night at Pizza Shack so Ospreys can enjoy discounted drinks and pizza at $2 per slice.

Pizza Shack offers discounted drinks and pizza for college night every Thursday. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

The pepperoni ramboni rolls were freshly prepared with hot cheese and spicy pepperoni pouring out of slightly sweet dough after a bite.

The pepperoni ramboni rolls feature warm cheese and pork pepperoni wrapped inside freshly baked croissants. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

The personal pan pizza we ordered featured grilled chicken and basil over a bed of alfredo sauce. The 10-inch custom chicken alfredo pizza was just large enough for four adequately hungry Ospreys to savor at $14. If you’re on a tight budget, look at the difference in price between customizing an existing combo and creating your own.

Pizza Shack doesn’t have a dessert menu. Don’t ask for ice-cream — they don’t have that either.