Matthew now category 4; More evacuations ordered

Image courtesy National Hurricane Center

Hurricane Matthew is now officially a category 4 hurricane, according to the latest update from the National Hurricane Center. 

Matthew will be brushing the first coast on Friday afternoon or evening, according to current projections. The storm is moving northwest toward Jacksonville at 14 mph, the update stated.

Jacksonville residents in evacuation zone C must leave, Mayor Lenny Curry told the media Thursday morning as the city continues to track the path of Hurricane Matthew.

Zone C consists of areas near water, including portions of Riverside, San Marco, Northside and land near the intracoastal waterway. This mandatory order follows the evacuation of Beaches and zones A and B from Wednesday. The evacuated areas encompass nearly half a million people.

Find out which evacuation zone you’re located in here.

According to The National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Matthew to strengthen to a Category 4 hurricane with storm surges up to 5-9 feet and maximum sustained winds of 100-150 mph. The National Weather Service issued a hurricane warning for Duval County this morning.

St. Johns County zones A and B, near the beaches and St. Johns River, were ordered to evacuate at 6 a.m Thursday.