People of UNF: How about gaining superpowers for Halloween?

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic1_LiliWeinstein
Heather Smith is a senior studying public relations. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

If you had a superpower for a day, what would it be and what would you do with it?

I’ve always wanted to have invisibility. The reason why is because it’s very fun when you walk in on conversations that you know you shouldn’t hear, but you hear. And it’s nice to know that you can see those people, but they can’t see you. So what I’d do with that — there are some things that go on in our country politically behind closed doors you wish you could hear, but you kinda need more information. And I would love to just be, as that term goes, a “fly on the wall,” just to see people, hear people, do things.

Would you listen to any non-political conversations?

Sure. Probably just go to Starbucks, sit down. No one would know you’re there. And I’d just listen to people’s stories; how their day is going, what they’re doing, why they chose that certain latte or something like that.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic2_LiliWeinstein
Will Strassberger is a mechanical engineering freshman. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

I would remember everything that I read or that I came across — like a library brain. I would use it for all my tests and life, because I am quite forgetful.

Would this affect your career path?

Yeah, probably. I could be a detective like Sherlock Holmes. It would be much more useful to be a detective than to remember what angle a building was built at.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic3_LiliWeinstein
Left to Right: Astrid Scott is a biology education senior, Jack Paulk is a political science junior, and Samira Snowden is a business management senior. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

Samira: I don’t have my Marvel bookbag with me today, but I think I would do the cliché power of flying and that’s because I like to travel so much. And you know airfare, gas — that stuff’s not cheap. So I think I’d like to be able to fly and see everything from above.

Jack: I’d have to say my power would be teleportation.

Astrid: I was literally about to say that.

Jack: Yeah, teleportation simply because it’s like flight, but you get the benefit of being there now. So if I wanted the experience of flying, I could just teleport really high in the sky and just kind of fall until I hit the ground. It would be really bad if I missed it that one time. But other than that, teleportation is a good power.

Would you go anywhere specific?

Yosemite. Or the top of the [Great] pyramid [of Giza].

What other supernatural power would you consider?

Astrid: The ability to go back in time.

What time period would you travel to?

Astrid: Oh my gosh, all of them. I guess I shouldn’t say this, but I will. I hope they like black people wherever I go. I’d like to go back to the 1500’s or the 1600’s.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic4_LiliWeinstein
David Bagby is a freshman majoring in sports and business management. Photo by Lili Weinstein

I’d be able to stop time and I wouldn’t be late for anything, just for that day. I could stop time right before class starts, and I could take a nice stroll to class. Or right before work starts, I could take the long way.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic5_LiliWeinstein
Ashley John is a computer science sophomore. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

Fly around the world and visit everywhere. I don’t think I’d try to save people unless they were like, scared of heights or something.

Would you visit many countries or spend your 24 hours getting to know a specific group of people?

I’d probably go everywhere first, but then it would be really conflicting because of time differences and everything. I’d start in the East and then go backwards. I’d probably have a lot longer than a day. That’d be fun.

2016.10.28_SuperPowersPic6_LiliWeinstein
Hayley Mobley is an accounting sophomore. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

Mind reading.

Whose mind would you read?

School-wise, teachers to make tests easier.

And outside of school?

My first thought was so I know when people are leaving their parking spot at the grocery store or in Lot 18. I could save myself some walking.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic7_LiliWeinstein
Christopher Kennedy is a criminal justice junior. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

Super speed. I would travel. I could see the entire world in a day.

Would you stop anywhere specific?

Everywhere. I’d visit Istanbul, Moscow, London, Paris, every major city… I don’t think I’d ever have another opportunity to do that. I don’t think anyone would.

Would you stop and be a tourist or would you just look around and leave?

Well I only have a day, so I’d have to just leave. I would hit the highlights in each city. If I was in Paris, I’d hit the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.

2016.10.28_SuperpowersPic8_LiliWeinstein
Dr. Grace Bossé is a physics instructor and lab manager. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

There’s so many things you could do, like helpful things. And there’s also totally selfish stuff. If I had a superpower, I’d have mind control. So if I choose to do so, I could make people do what I want them to do. Make them understand and go along with what I’m saying.

Would you do anything with it outside of the classroom?

Oh yeah. Anywhere. Everywhere. There’s people constantly that you just kinda like, make them do what you want them to do and make them stop what they are doing.