Church paying for free Starbucks on campus

Get your coffee fix for free on Tuesday. Photo by Jariss George

There are two things that virtually everyone enjoys: coffee and free stuff. Students and faculty at UNF will have the opportunity to enjoy both as Celebration Church brings their “Pay-It-Forward” Starbucks campaign to campus for another semester Tuesday, Jan. 17.

Students and faculty who line up at Starbucks between 9 and 11 a.m. on Tuesday will receive one free tall beverage of their choice. Sub30, Celebration Church’s college ministry, is conducting this event to help students “shake off the holiday slug and jump into a new semester of homework, classes and meeting new people.”

This is the second time that Sub30 will be conducting this event, after the first in August was so successful. Per Julia Neal, the Communications Coordinator at Celebration, roughly 250 separate orders were placed during the time in August, using the entire tab of $750 that Sub30 had established with Starbucks. Neal also said that two full cases of water were passed out during the event to students passing by their tent, bringing the total number of students who interacted with them in some way to around 300.

So, what do you have to do to get a free drink from Starbucks? Simply be in line between 9 and 11 a.m. on Jan. 17 and have in mind which tall drink you’d like to order.

“At Celebration Church, we believe that the love of Jesus is open and free for all and it’s a free gift that’s been given to us, so we just kind of want to give back in the same way,” Neal said.

There will be a booth set up at the back entrance to the Starbucks, near the library, for anyone who wants to stop by and find out more about Sub30 and Celebration Church. Pastors Kelly Toth and Tyler Lavasseur will be in attendance, as well as other members of the Sub30 team.

Sub30 occurs Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. at the Arena campus off Baymeadows Road and is geared toward college students and young adults. Celebration Church is located at 9555 R.G. Skinner Parkway, Jacksonville, FL 32256.