Police Beat Oct. 6, 2010

Sept. 22- Petty Theft (Bldg 44)

A student discovered her bike missing at approximately 3:30 p.m. She parked her bike at a bike rack around 8:30 p.m. Sept. 21 between the parking garage and the music building and secured it with a cable combination lock. The reporting officer canvassed the immediate area but did not find the bike. Patrol efforts have been suspended due to a lack of viable leads to pursue.

Sept. 23- Burglary (Bldg 44)

A student reported his parking pass missing from his vehicle. He parked his vehicle in the parking garage around 8 p.m. Sept. 22 to go to the library. When he returned to his vehicle around midnight, he noticed his pass was gone. He left the windows of the vehicle down while he was in the library. Due to the delay in reporting, the vehicle was not processed for latent prints. There are no viable leads to pursue, so patrol efforts have been suspended.

Sept. 24 – Battery (Osprey Fountains)

An officer was dispatched to the Osprey Fountains in reference to an E-phone call of someone yelling and saying they were being choked. When he arrived on the scene, he spoke with residence assistant Grace Ambrose, who stated a female was hitting a male as they argued down the hall. The female in question later claimed her boyfriend began to choke her during an argument, which is when she slapped him and pushed him off. When asked if she had any bruising or marks, she showed a small red scratch on her forearm. Both subjects were told about the potential of being arrested if the incident continued.

Sept. 24- Fraudulent Activity (Off Campus)

A student reported fraudulent use of her debit card after having her card declined at Panera Bread Sept. 24. She called her bank which informed her that her account had been flagged due to possible fraudulent use. An unauthorized person used the card at a gas station, and two other unsuccessful attempts to use the card were documented. The victim was reimbursed for the charges after filing a fraud report. Police efforts are suspended at this time.

Sept. 25- Intoxication (Osprey Crossings)

An RA notified UPD of an intoxicated female student. The intoxicated female was sitting on a curb when an RA approached her and said she was going to contact UPD. At this point, the intoxicated female’s roommate assisted her to her room. The two females locked themselves in their bathroom and refused to open the door for the RA or UPD. After several requests, the females opened the door for the officer. The intoxicated female blew a .091 on the breathalyzer and was transported to River Point Hospital. The intoxicated female and her roommate were referred to Student Conduct.

Sept. 29- Petty Theft (Bldg 10)

A student locked her bike to a bike rack next to building 10 Sept. 28. When she returned Sept. 29 she discovered her bike and lock missing. An officer searched the area but did not find the bike. There is no information on any suspects and the investigation has been suspended.

Oct. 1- Petty Theft (Bldg 44)

A student reported her parking pass was stolen from her vehicle Sept. 30 between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. She was running late to class and believes she may have forgotten to lock her car. She realized her pass was stolen when she returned to her car to change books for another class.  She said she did not have time to report the incident the same day, and the reporting delay prevented police from conducting a canvass of the area where the car was parked.

Oct. 1- Burglary (Lot 10)

A student reported his parking decal stolen from his truck. He parked his truck in Lot 10 Sept. 29 around 6 p.m. He noticed a parking ticket on his truck Oct. 1 and the absence of his parking decal. Fleming told the reporting officer that his passenger doors do not lock. The parking ticket was stamped Oct. 1 at 9:56 a.m. The vehicle was not processed due to the lapse in time.

Oct. 2- Criminal Mischief (Bldg 44)

UPD responded to Benjamin Jones’ report of criminal mischief to his work vehicle. Jones said he last saw his vehicle Sept. 30 and at that time it was undamaged. When he returned to his car Oct. 2, he found dried egg and egg shells on the roof and rear windshield. Jones said he had an idea as to who the suspect might be, but he declined to identify the person. Due to the time of the report and lack of witnesses, a canvass of the area was not conducted and patrol efforts have been suspended.

Oct. 2- Petty Theft (Lot 3)

A student reported her bike stolen after leaving it locked to a bike rack Sept. 30. When she returned Oct. 2, she discovered her bike missing and contacted police. The reporting officer canvassed the immediate area but yielded negative results. Patrol efforts have been suspended due to a lack of viable leads to pursue.

Oct. 2- Criminal Mischief (Osprey Hall)

An electronic exit sign was reported vandalized in Osprey Hall. The sign was seen intact by a student around 8 p.m. and was suspected to have been broken between 8 p.m. and 9:40 p.m. No other students had any information. Area Coordinator Amanda Mueller was on the scene and advised housing maintenance of the damage.

Oct. 3- Information (Bldg 34)

A student went to volleyball practice and left his Florida Driver’s license on a stadium seat. After practice he noticed his license was missing, and after searching the area, contacted UPD. An officer canvassed the area but did not find the complainant’s license. There were no witnesses available because the arena had closed. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Oct. 4- Criminal Mischief (Lot 12)

A student reported the glass in her passenger rear-view mirror broken. The incident took place between 6:15 and 8:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Osprey Village Dorms. There was no other damage to the vehicle. A canvass was not conducted due to the delay in reporting the incident.