Hurricane Irma strengthened to category 5; UNF has a plan

Hannah Lee

The threshold for a Category 5 hurricane is winds exceeding 150 mph. Graphic from Florida Storms

Hurricane Irma has strengthened to an “extremely dangerous” Category 5 hurricane, the National Hurricane Center said. Irma is indicated to only grow and strengthen.

The storm is threatening to slam the Caribbeans and Puerto Rico by Wednesday and making it’s way to Florida by the weekend. Irma is moving west with maximum sustained winds of 175 mph – just above the 157 mph threshold for a Category 5 hurricane – the NHC said.

UNF released a statement saying that physical facilities is preparing the campus by clearing storm drains, removing debris, filling up generators, and etc. The statement also said that the UNF Crisis Management Team is monitoring Hurricane Irma and will keep the campus informed about any updates on the impact Irma may have on UNF.

Last year during Hurricane Matthew, approximately 270 students on campus were relocated to the Fountains. UNF has a plan for hurricane emergencies. 

Are you preparing for the possible hurricane? Tell us using the hashtag #SpinnakerStorm.

Spinnaker will continue to follow and update this story. For more information on how UNF is prepared for hurricane emergencies, click here.

__