New residence hall in pre-design phase

Ronnie Rodgers

UNF is in the predesign phase for the new residence hall. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

The university is planning to build new student dorms in the near future. East Ridge Residence Hall is in the pre-design phase and could break ground as soon as 2018.

The university wants to build a 500-bed residence hall consisting of two and four room suites on either the north or south side of the Osprey Fountains.

The pre-design phase is the second in the process. The next steps of the process are design, construction, and occupancy.

“This pre-design phase of the project will help us begin to develop not only what physical space could be in a building, but how a new facility could fit into the existing housing inventory and serve students,” said Bob Boyle, director of UNF Housing and Residence Life.

Photo by Lili Weinstein

Representatives from Harvard Jolly Architecture and Hastings+Chivetta: Architecture, Planning and Engineering company have been holding meetings with various student groups on campus to get their input on the new dorm. They plan to send out a survey in November to reach a wider range of students.

According to Hastings+Chivetta, if the university has all the money in full by Jan. 2018, then they could possibly break ground during 2018.

Many students expressed their concerns and gave feedback to the companies. Some concerns that were brought up were:

• Separate study and lounge areas
  • “Easy” recycling access and “making sure it’s a green place”
  • Closer and guaranteed parking for all residence
  • Better lighting and “no hospital green” like in the Crossing Q
  • More natural lighting

There are still a lot of uncertainty regarding the specifics of the new residence hall because it’s so early in the process.

“No final decisions have been made about a new housing facility, including if it will serve a specific population of students or group,” said Boyle.

Spinnaker will continue to follow this story and update students with more details as they are released.