UNF waives out-of-state tuition fees for students from Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands

Ronnie Rodgers

Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico as a Category 5 hurricane and the island is still without power. Photo courtesy Yangel Rosario.

UNF is joining other public Florida universities in waiving out-of-state tuition fees for students from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands following a very active hurricane season.

Governor Rick Scott requested that public universities and colleges exempt out-of-state tuition fees for students from these islands, after being devastated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.  

“Students from [Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands] who are already enrolled at UNF will receive, in accordance with our current Board of Trustees approved waiver policy, waivers for out-of-state fees,” Cathy Cole, assistant vice president for Enrollment Services, said.  

Future students coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico who are currently applying will also receive the waiver if they are admitted to the university.  

Students who transfer to UNF due to the hurricanes will also be eligible for this waiver.

“The same courtesy will be extended to those students who enroll as transient students, intending to return to their home institutions in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands,” Cole said.

UCF, FAU, FIU and other colleges in South Florida are also waiving out-of-state tuition.