News in Brief Jan. 5, 2011

Fitness equipment moved during construction of Student Wellness Center

The equipment from the recently demolished Dottie Dorian Fitness center has been moved to several rooms in the UNF Arena. The equipment is now located in two racquetball courts, as well as rooms 1052, 1053 and 1062. The Arena also houses a locker room, showers and water fountains. Classes that would normally take place in the rooms 1052, 1053 and 1062 will be moved to two ballrooms and a few of the meeting rooms in the Student Union. The Student Wellness and Sports Education Center is scheduled to open in spring 2012.

Museum of Contemporary Art hires new director

The Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville hired Marcelle Polednik as its new director, who will assume her new job position in late February.

Polednik has served as chief curator of the Monterey Museum of Art in Monterey, Calif., where she organized more than 12 modern and contemporary art exhibitions. Polednik has written a number of exhibition catalogues as well as articles during her tenure. She is currently working on a major traveling exhibition of mid-century New York and San Francisco paintings, entitled “West to East: Retracing the Landscape of American Abstraction.”

“It is an honor to be asked to lead the institution at this critical and exciting moment in MOCA’s history,” Polednik said in a news release. “I look forward to collaborating with the Board of Trustees, the colleagues at the University of North Florida, the talented staff of MOCA and the engaged Jacksonville community in building the future of this exceptional museum.”