Top Five Films of 2010

As we begin a new year of going to the movies and running to the nearest Red Box, let’s look back at the movies that you need to see if you didn’t when they entered theaters. These five movies are diverse, dramatic, action-packed and brilliant showcases of talent. There were a lot of great movies that entered theaters this year, but these five tackled modern trends, warmed our hearts, explored psychosis and artistry and even invaded our dreams.

5. The Social Network

The story of how Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg rose to become a business tycoon after starting the massively popular website wows on many levels as you see the legal troubles and debauchery that led to a social network monopoly. The film is informative, entertaining and hosts awesome performances by Jesse Eisenberg as Zuckerberg and Andrew Garfield as Eduardo Saverin. Aaron Sorkin’s meticulous script acts as a great blueprint for character interactions that are natural and fluid. Eisenberg is awesome as Zuckerberg and David Fincher’s somber direction brings greatness to his vision yet again.

4. The Fighter

This year’s underdog movie. Mark Wahlberg plays the down-and-out Micky Ward, a boxer who lives in the shadow of his crackhead brother’s former glory. Christian Bale is brilliant as Micky’s brother, Dicky, and exhibits his dedication as an actor. Bale will go home with some awards this year. As well as Amy Adams, who portrays Micky’s seductive spitfire squeeze, Charlene Fleming. This movie will have you cringing as a dysfunctional family deals with a changing of the guard. “The Fighter” is inspiring and sensational.

3. Black Swan

“Black Swan” mixes artistic grace with psychotic anxiety. Natalie Portman plays the timid protagonist who earns the lead role in a highly-anticipated production of “Swan Lake.” Darren Aronofsky directed this movie into a beautiful adventure into the mind of a conflicted artist struggling with her sense of identity. The film is powerful, loopy and borderline demonic. Portman is pretty much a shoe-in for the Best Actress Oscar with her ability to balance the difficulties as a ballet dancer along with her acting performance. She shines and helps Aronofsky make a great comeback.

2. Toy Story 3

We waited 11 years for this film to come to fruition, and it was worth it. For many of us college students, “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” were released when we were young children. All your favorite toys are back in this sequel that actually tops the past two movies with hilarious antics from Woody, Buzz and Co. This amazing film will churn your childhood memories up and make you weep with this emotional sequel. The ending has one touching moment that might bring on the waterworks like only a Pixar movie can.

1. Inception

Christopher Nolan took about nine years to write the screenplay for this magnificent mind bender. The film explores the dreamworld in order to steal and implant memories into the subconscious mind. Heart-pounding action and a literal “clusterf***” plot make this movie one you have to see twice — either for clarification or for amazement. The movie is a jack-of-all-trades by incorporating drama, action, sci-fi and thriller into this nice 142-minute package. The film packs a great ensemble of actors to keep the pace going great. The movie will make you think about dreams and the unconscious in ways you might not have viewed them before. It’s a brilliant film and if you haven’t seen it, you’re truly missing out. Let’s just hope “The Dark Knight Rises” can top Nolan’s past two movies. It’ll definitely be a feat.