What’s happening to the softball field?

Feature+photo
Feature photo

Feature photo

Feature photo

Logan Ansteatt

If you’ve endured the walk to campus from Lot 18 this semester, you’ve probably noticed the construction work being done to the softball field. So, what is being done and how much is it costing?

The construction started as a result of a damaged press box at the hands of last year’s hurricane season.

According to Director of Athletics Lee Moon, it was determined that tearing down the old press box and building a new one would be the best course of action. Moon said the situation also gave the Athletic Department the ability to address issues with Title IX, as both dugouts will now have bathrooms.

Much like the Arena just a few years ago, the softball field will also receive a scoreboard refresh. Combine this with new walls, netting, bleachers, turf and resurfacing efforts, suddenly the cost of the project really starts to climb. Moon estimated the grand total to be close to $750,000.

While some insurance money is being granted for reconstruction of the press box, the rest of the money will be managed by the university itself. Moon said there have been “verbal commitments” of funds they are still waiting to receive for some items of the project.

In regards to that detour created between the field and Lot 18, Moon says students shouldn’t have to worry about a blocked path for more than a few hours periodically when big steps of the project such as cement pours and drilling are being completed.

With the first home series starting Feb. 16, Moon hopes the minimum necessary construction can be completed in order to play. The goal is to ultimately have the field ready for the opening series, but the press may be operating out of a temporary tent and fans may need to bring lawn chairs in order to watch the game.

As for the full suite of changes, Moon says the renovations will not be completed until later this semester. 

“In a real ideal world, I would like to have it all done by the first of April.” Moon said.

With the last home series taking place April 27 and April 28, there’s a chance UNF softball fans will be able to experience the full set of renovations before season’s end.

Photos by Sydney Bartfield