Finals week is ruff, why not paws your stress?

Carly Kramer

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEWn7TMnGis[/embedyt]

Finals week can take a toll on students, and that’s why therapy and service dogs in training have returned to the Thomas G. Carpenter Library for PAWS Your Stress. Students can relax for a moment and enjoy the company of the pups.

“We all know that dogs have an empathy for people,” says President of the First Coast Chapter of Canine Companions for Independence, C.J. Smith. “Dogs help in stressful situations by giving someone a relief or an outlet for their stress.”

Canine Companions for Independence is a non-profit organization that assists people with disabilities by offering trained assistance dogs. They have visited UNF students under finals stress for the past few years.

PAWS Your Stress featured labrador and golden retrievers, which are breeds known for their dependability, according to Canine Companions.

“When you see a dog, you just want to pet them and love them,” says Elizabeth Haley, volunteer puppy raiser. “It calms you down and it soothes you, for sure.”

This activity returns to campus each semester to ensure that students have a chance to take a break from the books, even for just a moment.

The library will be offering other finals week remedies, like free snacks, coloring stations, and designated nap zones throughout the week.