Police Beat: Stolen cell phone, vandalized vending machine and burglarized cars

Sam Chaney, News Editor

Graphic by Rachelle Keller

Can’t Call It

UNFPD was dispatched to Bldg. 16 on April 22 in response to a report of a stolen cell phone.

According to the police report, a student had left her phone on the counter near the grilling station at the back of the Osprey Cafe when she exited the building. The student reportedly returned approximately 30 minutes later and was unable to locate her phone.

The student told officials that she had checked with several employees and attempted to track her device through an app, but was unsuccessful.

Officials reportedly were unable to locate any witnesses or photographic evidence.

The police report describes the missing cell phone as a red Apple phone with a clear case containing several gift cards, as well as the student’s student I.D., driver’s license and insurance card.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

The Snack That Smiles Back

An officer with UNFPD was performing a routine security check on April 28 when he noticed a vandalized vending machine around Bldg. 2.

The police report states that the word “Grin” had been spray painted on one side of the machine with the letter “N” of the word shaped as a pitchfork.

According to the report, other officers arrived to check various vending machines around campus but no other damage was found.

Physical facilities was reportedly notified of the damage.

The report states that the damage does not appear to be permanent and that no surveillance of the area is available.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Burglarized Vehicle #1

UNFPD was dispatched to the Flats on April 29 in response to a reported car burglary.

The complainant, a UNF student, told officials he noticed somebody had entered his car when he found the glove box, middle console and wallet left open. The wallet reportedly had nothing of value in it prior to being left in the car.

The report states the student had last been to his car on April 28 when he parked it in front of his building. the student told officials he believed he locked his car prior to returning to his residence, but that he realized it may have been left unlocked when he attempted to use his vehicle remote.

Officials reportedly did not find any signs of forced entry into the vehicle.

Patrol efforts have been suspended due to lack of witnesses and evidence.

Burglarized Vehicle #2

UNFPD officials met with a student at the Flats on April 29 in response to a burglarized vehicle.

According to the police report, the student had parked his vehicle in front of his residence at approximately 1 a.m. and then noticed signs of entry when he returned at 6:30 p.m.

The student told officials his car had been “ransacked” and that his Brothers Laser Printer had been removed from the trunk. No other items were reportedly taken.

The report states that the student did not lock his car after leaving it, as he had been unloading items and taking them to his room.