Coaches and players speak at UNF Basketball Media Day

Photo by Lili Weinstein

Local media was invited to UNF Basketball Media day to interview the players and coaches of UNF Basketball about the upcoming season.

Coach Darrick Gibbs of UNF Women’s Basketball talked to Spinnaker about the team’s tournament run last year and how it made the team hungrier this season.

“We’re competitive as it comes, I think our tournament run made us hungrier just to get a taste of what’s like, the environment, the opportunity,” Gibbs said.

Junior Adrienne Jackson is one of the leaders on the squad and discussed her role helping the newcomers adjusting to playing at the collegiate level.

“Definitely on and off the court, we’ve helped each other as a whole and that’s very important to get the feel of how things work,” Jackson said.

The Men’s team added four freshmen to the squad and one transfer from Eastern Florida State College. Coach Matthew Driscoll of Men’s Basketball discussed the team’s depth this season.

“Our Freshmen are so good and talented, that’s why from bottom to top, I think we have a deep talented team. Their skill set and competitiveness and wanting to be good is at an all time high,” Driscoll said.

Junior Noah Horchler won the ASUN Newcomer of the Year award last season after leading the ASUN in blocked shots, second in rebounding, and fifth in field goal percentage.

“The award meant a lot to me just because of all the time and effort we put in,” Horchler said

The Men’s team’s first game is on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at Dayton at 7:00 p.m. and the Women’s team’s first game is on Friday, Nov. 9 at Florida State University at 6 p.m.