Women’s Basketball Season Opener Preview

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

Photo by Lili Weinstein

After reaching the ASUN Semifinals last year, the North Florida Women’s Basketball team is hungry to make a run in the tournament but their first test of the season will be on Friday at Florida State University at 7 p.m. 

This will be the second straight year that UNF opens up the season against the Seminoles, last year, the Ospreys lost 51-109. At that time, FSU was ranked 14 in the nation.

This year, the Ospreys have added eight new players, including four freshmen and four transfers.

Players to Watch

Sophomore Tiffany Tolbert: was named to ASUN All-Freshman Team last season, averaged 9.4 points per game, scored 19 in ASUN Semifinal against JU.

Senior Ty Purifoy: recorded 3.4 assists per game, shot 34.7 percent from beyond the arc.

Senior Arianna Emanuel-Wright: scored in double figures seven times, had 39.5 field goal percentage.

Junior Janesha Green: transfer from Gulf Coast State College, recorded a season-high 38 points against Tallahassee Community College last season

This game will give a glimpse of  what the Ospreys bring to the table this year and how the newcomers will perform with their new team.