Rohrer and Mathieu ignite Flames in 8-2 win over Ospreys

William Cunkle

Sophomores Brandon Rohrer and Logan Mathieu led the Flames in a decisive 8-2 win over the Ospreys in the second game of the three part series in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Khorri Newton
Junior David Maberry prepares for the pitch

North Florida had a big first inning with an RBI double down the left field line by Junior Tanner May, allowing Senior Jay Prather and Junior Tanner Murphy to score for a 2-0 lead. 

Liberty answered in the bottom of the first with three runs after a single to the right side from Sophomore Brandon Rohrer and a well-hit double to left field from Sophomore Logan Mathieu, putting the Flames up, 3-2.
The Flames managed to score three more runs in the bottom of the third after a dropped fly ball at left field and a double to right field from Freshman Gray Betts that scored two, pushing Liberty’s lead to 6-2.  

The bottom of the sixth inning showed a single up the middle by Rohrer adding another run for the Liberty Flames to be up, 7-2.
 The Flames were able to score another run to put them up by six after a single to centerfield by Rohrer to cement the 8-2 win.

Worth Noting

The Ospreys pitchers allowed a combined six walks in the 8-2 loss.

Murphy and May recored the only extra-base hits for the Ospreys.

This loss puts the Ospreys at 16-13 (2-3 ASUN) and the Flames at 20-6 (4-1 ASUN).
The Ospreys battle the Liberty Flames on Sunday, March 31 at 1 p.m.

__