UNF golfer gets national attention.

College golfers strive every year to reach the top amateur event in golf, the U.S. Amateur. It is a test of skill, confidence and passion,and each player that attempts to qualify must be on their “A” game.

UNF golfer Sean Dale lived up to expectations, repeating last year’s performance with his second straight U.S. Amateur qualification.

Dale met the challenge with a total of two under par.

“I had a buddy caddy for me and I birdied five of my last six holes,” said Dale. “Its great for confidence, too.”

The event, played at Erin Hills Country Club near Milwaukee, WI, will be a challenge for all players.

“Since I qualified last year, I feel like I’ve gotten better, but I also feel like there was an expectation for me to make it this year,” he said.

UNF golf coach Scott Schroeder could not be happier about Dale’s success.

“It’s good any time we have a player qualify for the this event,” said Schroeder. “It brings recognition to the program and to the area. Sean is a very accomplished golfer.”

Schroeder has been Dale’s coach since he came to UNF from Ole Miss.

The U.S. amateur is fast approaching, and Sean is preparing as much as he can.

“I’m upping my practice hours and trying to spend more time on my short game,” he said. “Short game is going to be a premium, so spending time around the green and putting are main things.”

Sean’s teammates appreciate his qualification.

“He has so much talent and we all get along with him pretty well,” said teammate Joe Byun. “He is there when you need something and he always makes things interesting.”

Coach Schroeder said Dale brings a mindset that the only option is winning.

“My goals for this season consist of working hard,” Dale said. “We have two incoming freshman and the sky is the limit for our team this year.”

With a star player on the roster, there are high expectations for the golf team this year.