2021 Emmy nominations announced

Nathan Turoff, Features Editor

On Tuesday afternoon, the list of nominees for the 73rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. The Emmys are the pinnacle awards ceremony dedicated to the best of television programming and serve as the equivalent of the Oscars, Tonys, and Grammys of movies, Broadway, and music, respectively. 

To be eligible this year, the show must have aired between June of 2020 and May of 2021. With many of these shows releasing during the COVID-19 pandemic, streaming services took up the majority of the nominations.

The most nominated programs were Disney Plus’s “The Mandalorian” and Netflix’s “The Crown” for drama series.

Netflix and Apple TV, video streaming, app icons on a mobile phone display, iPhone, smartphone, close-up, full screen (imageBROKER via AP) (Mara Brandl)

Apple TV Plus’s “Ted Lasso” dominated the comedy series categories, with “Saturday Night Live” also taking up a sizable portion of the acting categories for a comedy series.

Disney Plus dominated the limited TV series and movies categories with Marvel’s “Wandavision,” and their recording of the hit Broadway musical “Hamilton.”

The 73rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards will take place on Sept. 19.

________

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services Team.

Join Jacksonville at this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• Shot of the front of the University of North Florida entrance and fountain. Courtesy of the UNF Athletics website.

UNF kickoffs their 50th anniversary celebration with an event full of games, prizes, and giveaways

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.