2021 Emmy nominations announced

Nathan Turoff, Features Editor

On Tuesday afternoon, the list of nominees for the 73rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. The Emmys are the pinnacle awards ceremony dedicated to the best of television programming and serve as the equivalent of the Oscars, Tonys, and Grammys of movies, Broadway, and music, respectively. 

To be eligible this year, the show must have aired between June of 2020 and May of 2021. With many of these shows releasing during the COVID-19 pandemic, streaming services took up the majority of the nominations.

The most nominated programs were Disney Plus’s “The Mandalorian” and Netflix’s “The Crown” for drama series.

Netflix and Apple TV, video streaming, app icons on a mobile phone display, iPhone, smartphone, close-up, full screen (imageBROKER via AP) (Mara Brandl)

Apple TV Plus’s “Ted Lasso” dominated the comedy series categories, with “Saturday Night Live” also taking up a sizable portion of the acting categories for a comedy series.

Disney Plus dominated the limited TV series and movies categories with Marvel’s “Wandavision,” and their recording of the hit Broadway musical “Hamilton.”

The 73rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards will take place on Sept. 19.

________

• Kanopy logo

UNF’s secret free streaming service: Kanopy

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Pentatonix performed for a packed Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022.

Pentatonix bring Christmas tour and holiday spirits to Jacksonville

• Singing for his church initially inspired Karim to learn English and continue performing (Photo courtesy of Karim Zabaneh)

“Keep on pushing:” A UNF student and his voice

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• Jar of Flies album art by Alice in Chains

Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains, an album review

• Phones capture DeSantis and Luke Bryan on stage

Country artist Luke Bryan brings tour to Jacksonville, DeSantis makes special appearance

• Kenzie sings

Gallery

Kenzie’s Place wins UNF’s 2022 Battle of the Bands

• Students stand in line for Qdoba

Food

SG efforts bring a new dining experience to campus: Qdoba