Police Beat Nov. 9

Oct. 31 Snack Food Theft (Osprey Cove) – A UPD officer was conducting a property check of Building V, where the officer observed damage to the glass of a vending machine in the laundry room. The glass had been pushed inward. The frame was intact but bent from previous attempted thefts. Due to the poor condition of the glass and wet weather conditions, no latent fingerprint evidence was found. The officer contacted the vending machine company about the incident. A technician from the company said 10 items may have been stolen, but he was unsure. He said he would contact UPD with further information. UPD informed Housing of the incident.

Oct. 31 Marijuana (Osprey Fountains) – An area coordinator entered the room from which marijuana odor was emanating. The AC found a small glass bong on a desk as well as several cigarette butts. The AC told the resident student not to remove the items and that UPD was coming. When the AC returned to the room, the bong had been moved. The officer spoke to the student, who said he had been smoking cigarettes in his room. The officer said there was a marijuana odor in the room, but the student said someone else had been smoking. He gave the officer permission to search the room. On a desk, there was a paper clip with marijuana resin on the tip. There were two bottles and one can of beer in the refrigerator. The student said the bong was not his and said to speak with the other residents. The student escorted the officer to another room, which also had a strong marijuana odor. The resident of this room said he had not been smoking marijuana either. The officer searched the room and found a marijuana grinder and two marijuana stems. The resident said the grinder was a keepsake from high school. Both students were referred to Student Conduct.

Nov. 2 Intoxicated Student (Osprey Cove) – A UPD officer made contact with the intoxicated student and her roommate at 2:20 a.m. The student was partially clothed, her eyes were bloodshot and her speech was slurred. There were strong odors of alcohol and vomit emanating from the student. The student was in the bathroom with her head bent over the toilet bowl. The roommate said to the officer the intoxicated student was drinking alcohol at an off-campus location and returned to her room intoxicated. She called 911 in fear of her roommate’s condition. Jacksonville Fire and Rescue arrived and examined the student. They decided not to transport the student to a medical facility for further evaluation. The student blew a .138 blood alcohol level. The student was given the option to be transported to a detoxification facility, which she refused. The student was transported to a medical facility by her roommate for further evaluation and treatment. The student was referred to Student Conduct for her actions, which caused a serious threat to her safety and well being.

Nov. 2 Marijuana (Osprey Crossings) – The officer approached the room and smelled marijuana. The student who resided in the room gave permission to the officer to enter the room. The officer made contact with two other students in the room. The officer asked the student if she had any drugs and she confirmed. The officer asked for the location of the drugs and the student pulled a blue whale container from her desk and a bag of marijuana from her pants. The officer found two pipes in the container. The student said they had all been smoking marijuana in the room and took full responsibility for all the illegal items. The student was given a Notice to Appear for possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. All three students were referred to Student Conduct.

Nov. 3 Bicycle Theft (Osprey Fountains) – The victim said she left her beach cruiser bicycle locked in the rear bicycle storage area of Osprey Fountains Nov. 1 at 6 p.m. She returned to the area Nov. 3 at 9 a.m. and discovered her bicycle was missing and they chain lock was lying on the ground. The victim was unable to give a serial number for her bicycle. The officer gave the victim a case information card and said to contact UPD with any additional information.

Nov. 4 Grand Theft Bicycle (Osprey Fountains) – The victim said he parked his bicycle and attached trailer near the rear bicycle storage area of Osprey Fountains Oct. 28 at 6 p.m. When he returned Oct. 31 at 11 a.m., the bicycle and trailer were missing. The bicycle and trailer are valued together at $450. The officer attempted to locate the property in the common areas on campus with negative results. Due to the time delay, no canvass was conducted. Patrol efforts are suspended.

Nov. 6 Threatening Phone Call (Osprey Fountains) – The victim said he received a phone call from the suspect, who told the victim he was going to find him and break his legs with a baseball bat and smash in his face. The victim said he knew the suspect for two years and has never had a physical altercation with him. The officer said to call police if he sees the suspect again and to contact UPD if there were any further threatening phone calls. The officer gave the victim a State Attorney’s card and said to go downtown Nov. 7 to speak with a state attorney regarding this incident. Patrol efforts are continuing.

Nov. 6 Bicycle Theft (Osprey Landing) – The complainant said he went to Osprey Landing to visit a friend Nov. 5. He chained his roommate’s bicycle to a stairwell in Building Y. The next day at 10 a.m., the complainant left the room he was visiting and discovered his roommate’s bicycle and lock missing. The complainant checked the Landing and Cove to negative results. The officer spoke to the victim via phone and obtained his information. The victim said he is still working on obtaining a serial number. The officer checked with UPD headquarters and Housing Maintenance; neither department removed the bicycle for being chained to a stairwell.