It’s all Inside the Target Car

By: Dargan Thompson, Assistant Features Editor

Inside the Target Car is a conglomeration of UNF and JU students who combined their musical knowledge with pop punk energy.

The band compares its music to that of The Get Up Kids, Brand New and New Found Glory. Drummer Anthony Campese, a UNF nutrition senior, said its new songs are a little more indie, but the majority of the band’s music can be most closely compared to New Found Glory.

Two of the members are music majors, which gives the band an edge in songwriting, Campese said.

“We definitely have a lot of education in music,” he said, “so we have a lot of knowledge base to write. And it’s not just in punk music, so we have a lot of theory knowledge between all of us.”

Since the band formed in 2009, it has recorded a full-length album and a three-song EP. It recorded the album, “Good Missiles Good Manners Good Night,” on JU’s record label, Dolphinium. The band is not on a label now, and it raises its own funds through door money at shows and merchandise sales.

Campese said it’s easier that way, and the band can be on its own schedule and not have to work with anyone else.

As well as playing shows all over Jacksonville, the band has completed two tours to cities around the southeast.

The band members booked the tours themselves, finding venues as well as bands to play with. They try to play in between local bands from whatever area they are in, Campese said. That way they can gather a decent-sized crowd. Sometimes there’s a good turnout and sometimes there’s not.

“A lot of it’s hit or miss when we go out of town,” said Stephen Pamas, a UNF mechanical engineering senior, who plays guitar and does some vocals for the band.

Planning a tour is really time-intensive, Pamas said. The band spends a lot of time emailing clubs to figure out where they can play.

“It’s a lot of work at the beginning, but it’s worth it,” he said.

For Inside the Target Car, touring is not about the money. The band just needs enough to make it to the next city, and it never earns much, but touring is fun and rewarding, Pamas said.

In Jacksonville, the band often plays at Warehouse 8B downtown, as well as many other venues around the city. The band has built up a fan base by playing shows with a lot of other Jacksonville acts.

Campese said all the Jacksonville bands in the punk scene are really close-knit, so they all support one another at gigs.

Justin Belichis, a member of Dancell and Locals, has been playing shows alongside the members of Inside the Target Car for about four years.

“They’re always energetic,” he said. “All the kids love them.”

With graduation drawing closer for the band members, all of whom are seniors, the future of the band is uncertain. They are all focusing on finishing out college, Campese said, and have their own ideal career goals set up.

“We would love more to come of it, but it’s hard to get a break in the music industry,” Campese said.

For now, they are playing as much as they can. The band is about to record its second EP and hopes to go on tour again this summer.

Email Dargan Thompson at [email protected].

WANNA HEAR IT LIVE?
The band’s next show is April 3 at 7:30 p.m. at The Pit, located on 14003 Beach Blvd. Tickets are $10 in advance and available at kapiro.com/events/7441.