UNF poll indicates Obama’s slight Florida lead

Stock photo by Keri Weiland

Results of a poll conducted by approximately 180 UNF students with the university’s Public Opinion Research Laboratory Oct. 1-9 indicate a slender lead for President Obama in Florida: 49 percent to 45 percent.

UNF students dialed roughly 30,000 numbers generated at random through the computer-assisted telephone interviewing stations at the UNF polling labs, according to a news release.

Despite the number of dialings, students were only able to conduct an average of about four to five surveys in a four-hour session, according to the news release. The accuracy of the survey can be indicated through the 3.49 percent margin of error.

The survey also indicated Obama’s overwhelming popularity among blacks with a 96 percent to 3 percent lead over Mitt Romney, as well as his approval among the Latino population with which he leads 59 percent to 33 percent.

Michael Binder, a UNF political science assistant professor, said with such a small overall gap, Florida will be vital if Romney is going to win the election.

Matthew Corrigan, UNF professor and chair of political science, said surveys have been conducted in the lab for the past eight or nine years, and they have proven to be efficient in teaching students how to interact with the public, collect data and measure public opinion.

Binder said he will consider conducting a policy-oriented survey after the elections.

Email Noor Ashouri at [email protected].