UNF hosts fourth annual Take Back the Night event, observes Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Photo by Connor Spielmaker
UNF students and members of the community observed Domestic Violence Awareness Month with the fourth annual Take Back the Night event.

UNF’s Women’s Center and Alphi Chi Omega women’s fraternity hosted the fourth annual Take Back the Night March and candlelight vigil Tuesday to help unite the community in raising awareness about domestic violence.

The event, held in observance of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, began as a march, accompanied by the UNF drumline, from the UNF Osprey Crossings Courtyard to the Coxwell Amphitheater.

Following the march, the UNF gospel choir performed “Burdens are Lighter.” Several attendees then gave a history of Take Back the Night, followed by the candlelight vigil.

Sheila Spivey, director of UNF’s Women’s Center, said the candle provides healing and loses nothing by helping to light another candle. She said this is a reference to how the community should extend its hands to end domestic violence.

Spivey also said the name of the event, Take Back the Night, is a reference to the notion that nighttime is the most dangerous time for women to be out.

“Violence that occurs in the home or in intimate partner relationships are not private issues,” she said. “They are a public travesty.”

Erin Rollins, a UNF alumni, said this event aims to help the community learn about the resources available for victims of domestic violence, as well as those who want to support the cause.

Rollins said UNF’s Women’s Center, the Victim Advocacy Program and the Crisis Hotline offer ways to bring people together against this cause.

More photos from the march and vigil can be found here.

Email Noor Ashouri at [email protected].