Senate meeting results in VP appointment

SG logo blackJan. 27 — Senate

Vice-Presidential Appointment

Chief of Staff Tony Stevens, Advertising and Marketing Senior, was appointed Student Government Vice-President in a 30-1 vote in the Senate.

Stevens was nominated for the position by current SG President Carlo Fassi after former SG Vice-President Billy Namen resigned on Jan. 21.

Currently, Stevens is Homecoming Chair, but has been a Senator, Senate President Pro-Tempore, and Chief of Staff.

Stevens said he wants to make sure initiatives and agencies work cohesively.

SG President, Carlo Fassi, said he chose Stevens because he is grounded and trusts him to get projects done.

Fassi said, “I’ve known him for four years and he’s proven himself consistently.”

Fassi said he doesn’t think the Chief of Staff position will be filled and Stevens will keep the responsibilities of Chief of Staff.

“The time it would take to fill the position would take away from SG initiatives,” Fassi said.  “For now, not filling the position will save students’ money and time.”

Senate President, Christopher Brady said, “The student body will be in better hands with Tony Stevens as Vice-President.”

New Committee is Formed

The University and Student Affairs Committee was formed to replace the Student Advocacy Committee and University Affairs Committee.

Brady said the USA Committee is responsible discussing student opinions and organizing events.

“Members of SAC and UAC will be in the new USA Committee,” Brady said.

According to the bill, OB-13F-2727, “The legislative cabinet can be more efficiently run if the SAC and UAC committees are combined.”

The USA committee is also responsible for creating and issuing Osprey Voice surveys.

Senator Star Caudio, was nominated unanimously as the USA Committee chairwoman and sworn in by Chief Justice Goetz.

Fassi must still sign the bill.

Email Brandon Thigpen at [email protected]