Police Beat: marijuana, pills, paraphernalia and a stolen iPad

Photo by Camille Shaw
Photo by Camille Shaw

Weed, paraphernalia and hydrocodone, oh my!

Two UNF students were caught with marijuana, paraphernalia and hydrocodone in their rooms at the Fountains on Feb. 13.

An officer received a call around 11:27 p.m. about the smell of marijuana coming from a dorm room. The officer knocked on the suspect’s door and the suspect let him come in.

The suspect said he had marijuana in the room, and he let the officer search his dorm. The officer found a pill bottle containing marijuana, a scale, a grinder, two pipes/bowls and a lighter.

The officer asked the suspect what he used to smoke the marijuana, and the student said a bong, but he didn’t know where it was. The suspect’s roommate said he hid the bong in his room for him.

The officer then asked if he could search the roommate’s room, and the roommate let him. The officer found two white pills with markings M366, which is hydrocodone. The pills were in a plastic bag with gauze in the roommate’s desk drawer. The roommate said his dentist prescribed the pills for a recent procedure. Since the pills were found with gauze, the officer seized them.

The suspect had previously been referred to Student Conduct for possession of marijuana. The officer issued the suspect a Notice To Appear for possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He also requested both the suspect and the roommate be sent to Student Conduct.

iPad stolen at skate park

A 15-year-old had his iPad stolen while at the UNF skate park on Feb. 15.

The victim said there were only two other people skateboarding at the time. He said the two suspects kept staring at him and acting suspiciously.

A witness said one of the suspects came over and started talking to him, standing in a position to block the other suspect from view. The suspect then turned to the other suspect and told him to go, and they left the park.

Both the victim and the witness said the other suspect was holding his jacket closed with both hands, and it appeared he was holding something under his jacket. After the suspects left, the victim noticed his iPad was gone.

The victim tried using the Apple locating service, but the device did not respond. The case has not been cleared, but patrol efforts have been suspended.

Now that’s a lot of paraphernalia

On Feb. 15, a UNF student was caught with marijuana, hydrocodone, alcohol and a large amount of drug paraphernalia.

An officer pulled the student over around 11:34 p.m. after he was going 40 mph in a 30 mph zone, headed east on UNF Drive towards Alumni Drive. The officer conducted the traffic stop in Lot 10.

The officer noticed the smell of marijuana, and he could also clearly see a pipe/bong on the back passenger floorboard. The officer then asked the student to step out of the vehicle, and the suspect did. The suspect said he had a pipe and less than 20 grams of marijuana in the car.

Two other officers showed up, and they found the following items: eight clear plastic bags with marijuana residue, an open box of approximately 106 new clear plastic bags, a silver grinder containing a quarter with marijuana residue, a multi-colored glass pipe with marijuana residue, a glass ashtray with marijuana residue, a joint/cigarette roller with marijuana residue, a prescription pill bottle containing three hydrocodone pills, six hidden clear plastic bags of marijuana buds and an empty package of raw rolling papers.

But wait… there’s more: a black camera bag containing a mason jar with marijuana, a clear plastic bag with marijuana stems, two lighters, a blue glass pipe with marijuana residue, an electronic scale with marijuana residue, a prescription pill bottle containing three promethazine pills, a black metal box (containing a round yellow rubber container with hash oil residue) with marijuana residue, a camera lens protector, a clear glass water pipe with marijuana residue and a broken glass pipe with residue.

But that’s not all. The officers also found an empty prescription pill bottle that was supposed to contain roxicets, a prescription pill bottle containing two hydrocodone pills, another prescription pill bottle containing six hydrocodone pills, a 750 milliliter bottle of Smirnoff Iced Cake vodka, a metal rod with hash oil residue, a piece of wax paper with hash oil residue and finally another piece of wax paper that was folded up with hash oil residue.

All of the items were placed in the JSO property room.

The officer who pulled the suspect over asked him if he was dealing drugs, marijuana or pills because of all of the plastic bags, bottles and the scale, but the suspect denied it. Two Resident Life Coordinators told the officer they had been getting silent witness forms from multiple students saying the suspect had been dealing drugs.

The suspect faced the following charges: possession of marijuana with intent to sell/mfg/deliver within 1,000 feet of a college or university, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, possession of a controlled substance, possession of not more than 20 grams of marijuana, use or possession with intent to use drug paraphernalia and unlawful speed-municipal road.

The officer also issued a Uniform Traffic Citation for speeding and requested the student be sent to Student Conduct.

Damaged cart

A UNF employee called UNFPD after finding out a utility cart had been damaged.

The officer arrived at the Physical Facilities building on Feb. 10 where he met with the complainant. The complainant said the cart had damage on the right side of it.

The investigation revealed who was using the cart on Feb. 8 between 3:15 a.m. and 3:45 a.m., but both of the cart’s operators said they didn’t know anything about the damage.

The damage consisted of a scratch on the right side as well as damage to the hinges on the right side. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].

2/17/15 at 6:19 – Updated with information about damaged cart