Findel-Hawkins gets second nod; Ospreys on the rise

8301_SE Sports Media
Findel-Hawkins returns a serve.
Photo courtesy SE Sports Media

For the second time this season, UNF’s Jack Findel-Hawkins has won the Atlantic Sun Men’s Tennis Player of the Week award.  Findel-Hawkins is a sophomore hailing from Exmouth, Great Britain. This is his second season swinging the racket for the Ospreys. At the end of his rookie 2013-2014 season he was awarded the Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year honors.

Findel-Hawkins is coming off of a spectacular week where he finished 2-0 in doubles play and 1-0 in singles, helping the Ospreys blank instate rivals the University of Central Florida Knights, 4-0 and the Furman Paladins, 4-1. He is currently ranked No. 70 in singles play by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).

The Ospreys (8-2) have advanced two spots in ITA’s most recent poll bringing them to No. 67. The squad has been on a five-game winning streak, dating back to Jan. 18, when they shut out Southern Illinois, 4-0, in Knoxville, Tenn. during their final match of the Tennessee Spring Invitational. UNF’s Head Coach Mark Finnegan was happy to see his team advancing in the ranks.

“We have had a great start to the year,” Finnegan said. “We will have another top 75 ranked team coming to play us here in Jacksonville in a few weeks. That should be an exciting match.”

The Ospreys are on a six-game home stretch. They will face No. 69 South Alabama on Wednesday, March 4 at 5 p.m. and then East Carolina later that week on Sunday afternoon before they hit the road and start their conference schedule.

For more information or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments/concerns, contact Jordan Ferrell at [email protected].