Burnham, Heffron tip over the nest

OP brings ‘Last Comic Standing’ winner, YouTube sensation to campus

As I remove my elephant skin layers and type this, I can only bask in the hilarity of tonight’s event.

If you didn’t already know, comedians John Heffron and Bo Burnham fleeted their way to the UNF Robinson Theatre Feb. 26 as a part of UNF’s Nest Fest 2010 events.

Sadly folks (well, not entirely, stay tuned), I didn’t have the luxury procuring Heffron and Burnham’s questions to my interviews with them, as I instead operated the microphone for Osprey TV. But don’t click that x button yet; OTV promised me footage by early next week.

Originally scheduled comedian Kevin Hart of Scary Movies 3 and 4 and “Drillbit Taylor” fame had to pull out Feb. 25 due to a snow-in up north. So, Osprey Productions called up Burnham, who agreed to fly out for an Osprey-only show.

A packed Robinson Theatre laughed, clapped and jeered their way through the spectacle, Heffron starting off with jokes about young adults and relationships.

Burnham followed, set laden with his Yamaha keyboard and guitar. He switched between song and stand-up, all clutching the same theme: How offensive can this guy get?

What these comedians did really well was audience involvement. Sure, only the guys sitting in the front row got the attention, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when you have Student Body Vice President Mike Saathoff up there.

As the audience made its way to dorm after car, select OP staff members made their way to the glass room for a meet-and-greet with the night’s stars.

Speaking of OP, I have to give it major – we’re talking better than that second degree of yours, major – props for bringing Heffron and Burnham to UNF.

Sure Hart would have been root beer barrels of laughs, but replacement Burnham really had this reporter’s YouTube-lovin’ self rickin’ and rollin’ in his seat the entire set.

So, I hope all of you who failed to make it out to tonight’s comedic showcase had a valid excuse for not showing up. The folks at OP are incredible – magnanimous – for bringing these guys here and showing what good our Activity and Service fees can do.

Although my classmates and I still ask “What happened to Regina Spektor?,” we can all rest soundly knowing that OP is always a step ahead of us – at least they definitely took that step, and stomped on our feet, this time.

You want to know the skinny behind Heffron and Burnham? The Q&As with the jesters will be available at the beginning of next week, so check the Spinnaker’s Twitter – @UNFSpinnaker – for all the updates.