Jaguars look for identity in bye-week: Week 7 Power rankings

The Jacksonville Jaguars have been playing the part of Two-Face so far in the NFL this season.  The Jaguars looked like a Superbowl caliber team in wins over the Denver Broncos and division rival Indianapolis Colts.  However, in games against the Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills the Jaguars have struggled to find a consistent identity.  With the Jaguars having a bye week in week seven they need to use their break to figure out which team they really are.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are traditionally known as a tough defensive team which likes to base their offense around the running game.  However, this season the Jags have at times looked stronger in the passing game, with Matt Jones having a breakout year, and unable to stop opposing teams on defense.  Although the Jaguars have been plagued by injuries to several key players this year, the potential to win is still there.

“The first five weeks every game has been close,” Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said before week six’s game at Denver. “We could potentially be 5-0, we could potentially be 0-5.  It’s the nature of the league. It’s very competitive. There have been plays here or there that make the difference. We’ve earned 2-3, that’s where we are right now. We’d like to have more but that is our record, that’s where we stand and we’ve got a big tough assignment going into Denver.”

In week six against the Denver Broncos the Jaguars were able to rely on backup running-back Maurice Jones-Drew after their starter, Fred Taylor, was injured.  “Quote “

The Jaguars’ offensive line, which is often regarded as a weak spot for the Jaguars, also put together a strong outing against the Broncos. “This game today looked exactly like Jaguar football and it was good to get back to it,” said David Garrard.

The Jaguars currently sit at third place in their division at 3-3 (2-1 in division play), and have a great opportunity to strengthen their record in the next few weeks.  The combined record of the next three teams they play is 2-14.

I’ve decided to add my own weekly power rankings to my column

Week 7

1. Titans
  2. Steelers
  3. Bills
  4. Buccaneers
  5. Cowboys
  6. Colts
  7. Giants
  8. Cardinals
  9. Jets
  10. Redskins
  11. Broncos
  12. Eagles
  13. Chargers
  14. Panthers
  15. Patriots
  16. Jaguars
  17. Falcons
  18. Packers
  19. Vikings
  20. Saints
  21. Browns
  22. Bears
  23. Ravens
  24. Dolphins
  25. Texans
  26. 49ers
  27. Seahawks
  28. Bengals
  29. Raiders
  30. Chiefs
  31. Rams
  32. Lions