Student Wellness Complex ranks seventh in Florida buildings

The UNF Student Wellness Complex is the only building in Jacksonivlle to make the AIA's Top 10.  Photo courtesy of UNF.
The UNF Student Wellness Complex is the only building in Jacksonivlle to make the AIA’s Top 10.
Photo courtesy of UNF.

The University of North Florida’s Student Wellness Complex was recently recognized as a Top 10 building in the 2015 AIA Florida People’s Choice Award Competition at the American Institute of Architects Florida Convention.

According to a press release from UNF Director of Public Relations Joanna Norris, UNF’s Student Wellness Complex was ranked seventh for being the most popular design. The 75,000-square-foot complex is the only building in Jacksonville to make the Top 10 in the AIA competition.

“We’re thrilled to have been voted as the No. 7 facility in Florida,” said Zak Ovadia, director of UNF Campus Planning, Design and Construction. “It’s an honor to be among the buildings recognized by AIA as the top buildings that have beneficially added to the unique architectural fabric of the University and Jacksonville.”

This ranking of the building is not the first recognition it has received since being built. In 2013, the Student Wellness Complex was a winner of AIA Orlando’s Award of Merit. The center was also recognized by American School & University magazine for Outstanding Athletic Facility Design.

The $19.5 million facility integrates wellness programs and recreation for students, faculty and staff. The Student Wellness Complex has three-stories of recreational activity, including the elevated one-eighth-mile jogging track and rock climbing wall.

The second story of the Student Wellness Complex houses the Dottie Dorion Fitness Center. The 27,000-square-foot space contains $900,000 of fitness equipment. Located just off of the fitness floor is an outdoor multi-use balcony and the Dr. Paul Shirley Assessment Center. This center allows students immediate access to personal fitness and nutritional assessments.