Police Beat May 22

April 22 – Petty Theft (Building 45) – At approximately 12:30 p.m., UPD was dispatched to Building 41 in reference to a student’s stolen textbook. The text was stolen from the student while using the restroom. The student placed the text atop the first-floor bathroom trash can. The victim said he noticed the missing textbook only moments after using the restroom

April 29 – Grand Theft (The Fountains) – An unsuccessful attempt at theft occurred around 9 p.m. when several students contacted Resident Assistant Charles Runfola and advised him that two males were in the first floor common kitchen area trying to steal a flat screen TV. Runfola and another RA confronted the suspects and requested to know what they were doing. The two suspects then placed the TV of the floor and exited the building. They remain at-large.

May 6 – Grand Theft (Building 9) – At approximately 12:45 p.m., UPD met with university staff member Jason Jones, who said computer hardware/software had been stolen from inside a classroom lectern. Some of the remaining items were processed for latent prints – none were recovered. Estimated value of property stolen was $1,000.

May 6 – Theft (Building 58) – A wallet was stolen in the Student Union game room. The victim left the wallet in a chair May 6 but didn’t report the incident until May 11. The victim explained he reported the theft because replacement I.D.’s are cheaper if the original is reported stolen to the police.

May 10 – Burglary (Building 34) – David Oldham, who was in town visiting a friend and fellow UNF student, reported his Playstation 3 and games stolen. The two complainants placed the items in a caged storage facility before leaving campus April 30. When they returned May 10, they discovered the gaming system missing. It is uncertain whether the door to the storage facility was left unlocked or whether someone with access to the facility was involved.

May 10 – Disorderly Intoxication (The Fountains) – A UPD officer observed UNF student Jeffery Secure standing in the Osprey Fountains first floor doorway, leading to the hallway, with a wooden table wedged between the doors. The officer said the scent of alcohol emitted from Secure’s person. Scattered around the area were broken chairs, beat-in walls and a commercial dryer, lying upside down, on the floor with chords ripped out. Secure admitted he had consumed alcohol earlier but did not give any explanation as to why property was damaged except that, “the dryer wasn’t working.” Secure was physically arrested and referred to Student Conduct for possible disciplinary actions.May 11 – Injury (Building 48) – John P. Coda had a seizure on the grounds of the GOLFPLEX. Rescue No. 50 was on site and treated the complainant for the seizure. He was then transported to the Baptist Beach hospital.

May 11 – Burglary (Building 41) – Student Michael Quatromoni reported his parking decal stolen after receiving a ticket from parking services. He stated be believed the car was burglarized in the night between
May 11 and May 12. Quatromoni said he may have left the car unlocked. Nothing else was missing from his car. While the reporting officer was investigating at parking services, student David Richter came in to pay a ticket. The officer noted that the number on his ticket corresponded with Quatromoni’s parking decal. The officer recovered Quatromoni’s decal from Richter. Richter had reported his own decal stolen prior to being found with Quatromoni’s decal. He was missing a GPS but thought his decal was left intact. The prevailing opinion is that the burglar stole Richter’s decal and replaced it with Quatromoni’s. The investigation is ongoing.

May 12 – Criminal Mischief (Building 39) – Complainant Becky Raines noticed graffiti on the wall of the men’s bathroom on the third floor bathroom of Building 39/B. Sgt. M. Townsend was notified of the incident and photographed the graffiti.

May 12 – Burglary (Lot 55) – UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Fountains in reference to a report of an automobile burglary. Kyle Magee’s Jeep was broken into, via the plastic driver’s side window, during the hours of 5:00 p.m. May 11 to 4:30 p.m. the following day. Much of Magee’s personal belongings were stolen, including a GPS, an iPod and night-vision goggles. UNF Housing was contacted and advised of the incident.

May 13 – Petty Theft (Lot 53) – Student Floyd Hurst reported that his parking decal was missing. He left it attached to the handlebars of his motorcycle but noticed it was missing after as he left work for the day. A canvas was not conducted, nor was the motorcycle processed for prints.

May 14 – Battery (Lot 18) – Timothy Williams reported being struck in the face after an argument with grounds department employee Kris Jacobson. The two were arguing amidst a group of grounds department workers when the situation escalated and Jacobson pushed Williams. The two wrested on the ground until the onlooking grounds workers split up the fight. The two continued arguing, however, and Jacobson punched Williams in the face. Williams chose not to prosecute.

May 16 –  Burglary (Building 41) – Victim Nichole Polito reported her parking decal stolen. She noticed it was missing May 18 and said she had last seen it May 16. She said she believed she had left the car’s doors unlocked. Patrol efforts are suspended for lack of leads.

May 17 – Possession Marijuana/Paraphernalia (Lot 14) – A patrolling officer noticed a car parked behind a Dumptser in Lot 14. Upon investigating, the officer saw a pipe which he stated was consistent with marijuana smoking. The officer confronted the driver, Mithcell Hoppe, who produced the pipe and a small baggie of marijuana. Hoppe was issued a notice to appear and advised to leave UNF.

Compiled by Chance Ryan