Osprey Sports Swoop-Up: Rough weekend yields losses for both basketball teams

The Ospreys returned to Dayton, where they played against Robert Morris in their first ever NCAA tournament game.  Photo by Joshua Brangenberg
The Ospreys returned to Dayton, where they played against Robert Morris in their first ever NCAA tournament game.
Photo by Joshua Brangenberg

The UNF women’s and men’s basketball teams lost their games on the road against Georgia State and Dayton, respectively, on Dec 5.

Coming off an otherwise strong performance in a 119-108 loss to LSU in Baton Rouge, the men’s basketball team looked to regain their early season momentum against Dayton.

However the road trip did the opposite for the Ospreys, as they lost to the Dayton Flyers by a final score of 86-71. Guard Dallas Moore finished with 15 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Forward Beau Beech led the Ospreys with 18 points.

The Flyers owned the inside, scoring 46 points in the paint for the game with a +10 rebounding margin 41 to 31. The game marked the Ospreys’ second game in a two-game road trip. They’ll come back home Dec. 12 to face Coastal Georgia at 7 p.m. in the UNF Arena.

The women’s basketball team didn’t have it any better over the weekend. The Ospreys  were no doubt hoping to build a winning streak after their thrilling overtime win over Towson.

Unfortunately for UNF, they’ll have to start over after their trip to Atlanta where they faced Georgia State. The game resulted in a 76-63 loss for the recuperating Ospreys and rebounding again proved to be the deciding factor as GSU outrebounded the Ospreys 42-26.

Guard Claire Ioannidis and forward Taru Madekivi both scored team-highs with 13 points each for UNF. GSU forward Astaja Tyghter scored a game-high 14 points on 7 of 9 shooting.

The women’s team returns to UNF Arena as well on Dec. 12 to face Trinity Baptist at 3 p.m.