Osprey Weekend Recap

The Osprey women have now won five-consecutive matches after shutting out Kennesaw State. Photo by Joslyn Simmons
The Osprey women have now won five-consecutive matches after shutting out Kennesaw State. Photo by Spinnaker Media

The Ospreys competed on the tennis courts, softball field and track during a busy weekend.

Men’s Tennis

Men’s Tennis (8-10 overall, 3-1 A-Sun) gained two wins over the weekend against Kennesaw State and NJIT.

On Saturday, the Ospreys sealed a 5-2 victory after having four singles matches extended to three sets.

In the doubles matches, the Ospreys continued to battle with two of the matches ending 7-5. Andrey Alawi and Lasse Muscheites came from behind to grab a 7-5 win for the doubles point. Muscheites would clinch singles play 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 to bring the Ospreys to 2-1 in A-Sun play.

On Sunday against NJIT, the double matches were decided early with two 6-2 victories by UNF.

In singles, North Florida continued to roll with three straight victories, and Lasse Muscheites would again clinch the win with a 6-2, 6-4 victory.

The men have now won three-straight matches and will face FGCU at the UNF Tennis Complex on April 7 at 6 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s Tennis ( 9-5 overall, 4-0 A-Sun) completed their third shutout with a 7-0 victory over Kennesaw State to extend their winning streak to five matches.

The Ospreys, led by Michelle Valdez and Mariella Calderon, dominated the doubles and singles matches with Calderon closing out the match to complete the sweep.

Next women’s tennis will host Bethune Cookman at the UNF Tennis Complex on April 5 at 5 p.m.

Softball

North Florida softball ( 14-9 overall, 3-3 A-Sun ) held off the Kennesaw Owls (21-15, 5-4 A-Sun) Sunday to clinch the series on the road.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Ospreys fell 5-1 before coming back in the second game to split the series with a 12- 4 victory.

During the second game, the Ospreys swung the bat well, with eight players having at least one hit to their name.

In the sixth inning, North Florida recorded seven and five runs to push the game out of reach.

North Florida went into the series finale carrying the momentum and came home with a 3-2 victory over the Owls.

Katie Mandigo tallied a solo home run, her second of the year, to give the Ospreys an early 1-0 lead, but Kennesaw would respond with an RBI single in the bottom of the third. Freshman Navia Penrod scored on a Kennesaw throwing error in the top of the seventh to give the Ospreys a 3-1 lead. The Owls cut the deficit to one run but were unable to complete the comeback and fell 3-2.

The Ospreys are now tied for fourth in the conference, while the Owls moved to second place.

North Florida faces the Florida A&M Rattlers next in Tallahassee, on April 6 at 4 p.m.

Track and Field

North Florida Track and Field competed in two in-state competitions over the weekend.

In the Florida Relays in Gainesville, high jumper Bobby Harris earned a school record with a jump of 2.15m ( 7-00.50 feet).  This is the first time anyone in the program has cleared that mark.

During the Embry-Riddle Spikes Classic in Daytona Beach, Chris Robin earned first place in the 800m and had a personal-best time of 1:51.42.

Sophmore Desmond Robb also grabbed third -place finishes in the 200m and the 400m.

The women managed to claim titles in the 400m hurdles and the 800m, as well as secure numerous top-20 finishes in the Embry-Riddle Spikes Classic.

Tiana Hearn finished with a time of  1:03.73 to take home the 400m Hurdles, while her teammate Taylor Johnson had a time of 2:17.65 in the 800 m.

In the Florida Relays, Eden Meyers started her outdoor season with the 5000m and came in tenth place.

Next the track program will take a short break before competing in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee April 15-16 and the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, California April 16-17.