Seven hot weather hacks to make your life easier

The summer may be ending, but every Floridian knows that doesn’t mean we’re anywhere close to cooler weather. Learn these cheap alternatives to expensive hacks to make the transition to the fall semester as smooth as possible.

• Hot car

The official way: Purchase a blue lot pass ($95 per semester) or park in a garage at your apartment complex.

The college-friendly way: Crack your car’s windows before you leave (free) — just make sure valuable possessions like computers are out of sight. Buy a cheap windshield cover from Walmart ($5).

• Hot steering wheels / seats
    2016.08.03_HotWeatherHacksPic1_CourtneyStringfellow
    When you’re forced to park in Lot 18, slip a jacket over your steering wheel. When you need to leave campus, you can drive away promptly scar-free. Photo Courtesy of Courtney Stringfellow

The official way: Purchase fluffy seat covers to slip over leather seats ($30-$100).

The college-friendly way: Slide that unused jacket over the steering wheel and extra beach towel over the seats before heading to the water (free).

• Sweaty seats and seatbacks

The official way: Buy a cool air car cushion from an auto shop to encourage air flow ($65).

The college-friendly way: Blast the air conditioner to keep your upper body cool and place a towel on the seat to prevent legs from sweating on leather (free).

• Glasses fog up as soon as you get out of the car
    2016.08.03_HotWeatherHacksPic2_CourtneyStringfellow
    Try using shaving cream on your glasses before you walk out the door. It will work as a barrier to help your glasses adjust from cool to warm air. Photo Courtesy of Courtney Stringfellow

The official way: Buy contacts ($15$104 per box).

The college-friendly way: Spread a dollop of shaving cream on your glasses in the morning. Remove excess cream when it dries so you can actually see out of your glasses (free if you have shaving cream).

• Hair won’t hold a curl/stay straight

The official way: You could get an expensive professional perm

The college-friendly way: Try hairstyles that work with your natural hair such as braids and up-dos. The weather will get to your hair no matter how much hairspray you use, so it’s best to just accept the hair you were blessed with and work with Florida’s humidity.

• Your face feels like it’s melting

The official way: Redo your makeup throughout the day (free until you have to buy more liquid foundation).

The college-friendly way: Buy a powder foundation to wear during the summer ($10)

• Tossing and turning all night

The official way: Buy a gel memory foam topper for your twin mattress ($64).

The college-friendly way: Fold away your comforter so your body is just covered by a layer of sheets (free). If you can’t sleep without being buried beneath a fluffy comforter, buy a miniature fan to keep you cool at night ($4).