Home Brew Club teaches students about the art of brewing

Video by Emily Bailey

A large, aluminum pot rests on a burner connected to a propane tank on a cracked driveway. Next to it lay a toolbox, empty jugs of water, and a coiled copper tube. A couch sits outside of the garage along with some chairs, which are scattered around the set up.

A small crowd of students gather to observe as ingredients fall into the aluminum pot and aromas waft out. The air fills first with a nutty, warm smell before a grassy, citrusy scent joins the air.

Most people head to the nearest convenient store and pick up a six-pack when they want a beer, or they frequent their neighborhood bar and ask for whatever is on the menu. The Home Brew Club takes it seven steps further than that.

John Ganz, the president of the club, said the officers often try to host brew nights with experienced brewers so students can learn the proper steps and ask questions in a casual environment.

Barley sits in a pot of warm water like a tea bag. This necessary step will allow the batch to ferment into American Imperial Pale Ale. Photo by Emily Bailey.

Michael Lentz, a biology professor and the advisor for the club, gave students a lesson on how to brew an American Imperial Pale Ale on Tuesday, Sept. 27 at the house of a few members. Lentz has brewed more than 450 batches of beer over the course of 25 years, making him an experienced candidate for instructing students on the technical aspects of brewing.

“You could really argue that it’s an art and it’s a science. It’s really a combination of both,” Lentz said. “Understanding the science behind it — and there is a lot, which makes it fun for me — I think can really help you become a better brewer. But having some creativity go along with it, I think, is what I think sets you apart from other people that are just following recipes.”

But brewing a batch of beer results in more than just a beverage. UNF’s Home Brew Club is a community of students interested in brewing and welcomes anyone interested in the process regardless of experience and age.

Students younger than 21-years-old are encouraged to learn about beer and how to make it, even though they can’t legally drink it yet. The club currently has just over 100 members including alumni and professors.

“My favorite thing about the club is the social aspect,” President John Ganz said, “It’s about building relationships with each other and local companies.”

The future of UNF’s Home Brew Club holds more brew lessons as well as tours of breweries and tap houses, beer tastings at brewing lessons, and participation in UNF’s upcoming Oktoberfest. Students interested in joining the club can find members mingling at the Boathouse Thursdays at 6 p.m.