18-year-old UNF student dies in car crash

Andy Hoang
Andy Hoang

A UNF student died Saturday evening, Feb. 18 after he drove off the road and into a concrete ditch in Pinellas Park near St. Petersburg.

An N. Hoang, or Andy Hoang to his friends, was an 18-year-old member of the Chi Phi Fraternity at UNF. He was a junior health science major.

Andy is described as one of our most fun and lively brothers, and we will always remember him as such,” said a post on the Chi Phi UNF Instagram. “Please keep brother Hoang in your prayers, as our chapter comes to terms with this tragedy.”

A memorial service will be held for Hoang on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 9 p.m. in the Coxwell Amphitheater, according to the Chi Phi Fraternity. All members of Greek life and the UNF community are welcome to attend.

Hoang was driving a 2007 Honda northbound when he drove off the right side of the road to go around traffic stopped at a red light. Hoang failed to stop at the red light and continued through the intersection, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Hoang went through the intersection and again drove off the side of the road into a ditch on the northeast side. Police said the front of his car hit a cement wall that contained a tunnel.

Investigators believe excessive speed and impairment may be factors in the crash, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Hoang was the only occupant of the car and sustained fatal injuries. Police also said Hoang was not wearing a seatbelt when the crash occurred.  

__