Baseball wins home opener series

Photo by Lili Weinstein

The Ospreys (2-1) began their 2017 baseball season over the weekend against Radford in a three-game series.

The first game took place on Friday night, where UNF shut out Radford 9-0.

By the third inning, the Ospreys were already leading 4-0, but the impressive stuff was still to come. Harmon Stadium saw its first home run of the year on opening night, hit by Joe Boyle. Boyle went on to score another homer in the sixth inning. Sophomore pitcher Austin Drury pitched six innings and struck out nine batters. The Ospreys ended their scoring in the seventh inning with runs by Chris Thibideau and Yahir Gurrola, holding their 9-0 lead for the remainder of the game.

On Saturday, the Ospreys had competition as Radford came out scoring in the first inning. UNF scored two runs in the first inning and continued to rack up points while holding Radford’s score to 1 until the third. Radford started coming back from UNF’s 4-1 lead and eventually led themselves in the fifth inning. The lone home run for the Ospreys was scored by Chris Thibideau in the fifth. The Ospreys battled, but fell short in the ninth inning, losing to Radford 7-8.

The Ospreys game out with a vengeance on Sunday, scoring 3 runs in the first inning. Radford remained scoreless until the seventh inning. North Florida came right back with 5 runs in the bottom of the seventh. Radford scored one run in the eighth, but the Ospreys were able to hold them off with a 9-2 score at the end of the game.

Next they will go on the road to face UCF Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m.