10 highly anticipated movies for fall semester

2017 has been a great year for the film industry so far, and it’s not over yet. With fall semester quickly approaching, students may already be wondering what they’re going to do to get away from the ever present stress of being fully immersed in schoolwork. Thankfully, there will be plenty of opportunities to escape to the movies.

Spinnaker’s got you covered with 10 anticipated films hitting theaters during fall semester.

It should be noted that this list is certainly not exhaustive, as there are plenty of hyped-up movies on the way. If there’s one that you think belongs on this list, be sure to mention it in the comments! With that said, let’s jump into the countdown.

*All release dates from IMDb

It (September 8)

Andy Muschietti (Mama) directs this new adaptation of Stephen King’s classic story. After the disappearance of multiple children in the town of Derry, Maine, a group of children comes face to face with an evil unlike any they’ve ever known which takes the form of Pennywise the clown. Bill Skarsgård looks absolutely fearsome as the infamous villain, who has the opportunity to terrorize a whole new generation. Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard plays Richie Tozier, and Jaeden Lieberher (St. Vincent) plays Bill Denbrough. We’ll have to see how scary It is when it hits theaters September 8.

Mother! (September 15)

Darren Aronofsky produces, writes and directs this ambiguously dark thriller about a family whose peaceful life is shaken when uninvited guests show up at their home. The release is not far away, and Aronofsky is clinging tightly to the details. Besides a 30-second teaser, the only image released so far is the movie’s beautifully disturbing poster, which shows Jennifer Lawrence in lush, colorful, garden scenery as she innocently holds her bloody heart in her palms with the blankest of expressions painted on her face. It’s as if she’s completely unaware that she’s just ripped out her most vital of internal organs. Everything about this movie seems unhinged in the most delightful way, and with a supporting cast consisting of Javier Bardem, Michelle Pfeiffer, Domhnall Gleeson and Kristen Wiig, this one is shaping up to be quite the adventure.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (September 29)

The first film, Kingsman: The Secret Service, which debuted in 2015, earned a lot of positive critical and audience reception. Hot on the heels of its predecessor, The Golden Circle returns to the world of Kingsman, a secret intelligence agency bent on keeping the world safe from harm. After their headquarters is destroyed, the organization links up with its American counterpart called Statesman, and they must work together to overpower their mysterious common foe. Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Taron Egerton return, and we get the added bonuses of Halle Berry, Channing Tatum and Julianne Moore. Matthew Vaughn of Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class also returns to direct this newest entry in the Kingsman series.

Blade Runner 2049 (October 6)

Ridley Scott returns to produce the follow-up to his critically-acclaimed 1982 film. Ryan Gosling plays an LAPD officer named K, who carries a secret that leads him to blade runner Rick Deckard, who has been missing for 30 years. Harrison Ford also returns to resurrect his iconic character. There’s a lot on the shoulders of this film to live up to the original thought-provoking masterpiece, but with director Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival) running things behind the camera, it seems like the franchise is in good hands.

Geostorm (October 20)

When the earth’s climate is entirely controlled by a network of satellites, there’s not much room for error. Unfortunately, everything that could go wrong does as the satellites start wreaking meteorological havoc on the planet. One man who helped design the satellites must uncover the truth of the malfunctions before the entire world is taken by storm. Dean Devlin makes his directorial debut, and Gerard Butler stars in this special effects showcase that could either prove to be a successful blockbuster or just another mediocre weather disaster movie that will appear on the Sci-Fi channel a few months later.

Thor: Ragnarok (November 3)

The third in Marvel’s Thor series, Ragnarok entraps the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth) on a distant planet where he’s forced to face off against his Avenger ally, the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo). Meanwhile, a new threat named Hela (Cate Blanchett) seeks the destruction of his homeworld, so Thor must find a way to escape his imprisonment in time to save Asgard from utter devastation. Jeff Goldblum, Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch and Anthony Hopkins co-star.

Murder on the Orient Express (November 10)

A remake of the 1974 film based on the popular Agatha Christie novel, Murder on the Orient Express tells the story of a murder that takes place on a train that stalls while traveling through Europe. The 13 passengers, including a renowned detective, must put the pieces together to discover the murderer before he or she can strike again. Kenneth Branagh, fresh off his appearance in Christopher Nolan’s stunning blockbuster Dunkirk, directs what may be the most stacked cast of 2017, which includes himself as the famous fictional detective Hercule Poirot. The film also stars Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Penelope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Olivia Colman and Josh Gad. It’s a cinematic all-star team in a murder/mystery on a train. What more could you ask for?

Justice League (November 17)

DC Comics is almost ready to release its action-packed superhero showcase. It stars Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ben Affleck as Batman, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, Ray Fisher as Cyborg, Ezra Miller as The Flash and Henry Cavill as Superman. Facing a disastrous threat to the planet, the newly-formed Justice League must work together to stop it and save the world. Though its stars are electric, director Zack Snyder has been behind some less than dazzling DC films in the past, and this movie could either save his directorial reputation or bury him further in the ground. Either way, Justice League is sure to dominate the box office.

Molly’s Game (November 22)

After writing scripts for Oscar-nominated successes The Social Network and Moneyball, Aaron Sorkin takes the helm as director of Molly’s Game. Adapted from her memoir, the film is about Molly Bloom, a young skier who ran an extremely high stakes, illegal poker game involving A-list celebrities and wealthy business figureheads. Molly’s poker ring eventually sparked an FBI investigation and even had ties to the Russian mob. Academy Award-nominated actress Jessica Chastain stars in this true story given a release date that is well within the sweet spot for Oscar consideration. But will it entertain enough to earn itself nominations?

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (December 15)

It’s difficult to argue against The Last Jedi being the most anticipated movie of the year, especially considering its box office record-breaking predecessor The Force Awakens from 2015. Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) writes and directs the newest continuation of the Star Wars franchise. So many questions weigh heavily in the minds of Star Wars fans which they hope will be answered in the film. Who are Rey’s parents? Who is Supreme Leader Snoke? Why does Luke Skywalker think it’s time for the Jedi to end? The expectations for any Star Wars film will always be undeniably high, but it’s a burden Johnson and the rest of the cast seem to enjoy. This could also possibly be one the last chances to see the dynamic Carrie Fisher on the big screen in her pivotal role as Leia, the galaxy’s most beloved Princess turned General. Fisher’s daughter, Billie Lourd, will also have a role in the movie. Great care must be taken with the franchise, and fans absolutely cannot wait to see what Johnson has created for one of the most cherished franchises in cinema.

__