Women’s soccer wins exhibition match

Joslyn Simmons

The Ospreys showcased their freshmen talent on Aug. 9 in a 4-1 exhibition victory over the Daytona State Falcons at Hodges Stadium.

UNF came out early over the Falcons behind Lorena Cedeno’s goal for a 1-0 lead. The sophomore midfielder/defender went unassisted after the Falcons’ goalkeeper hit the ball back into play and allowed Cedeno a chance to connect the ball to the back of the net for a goal.

In the second-30 minutes, the Ospreys added their second goal of the match from freshman Madi Sagas’ powerful kick that was just out of the reach of the goalie.

Women’s soccer head coach Robin Confer was pleased with the preseason performance of the 2017 team.

“We played a lot of freshmen and they gained some valuable minutes,” Confer said. “It was nice to get some goals and production from some of them.”

UNF’s squad beat Daytona State 4-1. Photo by Joslyn Simmons

Under the beaming sun, Daytona State’s Alexis Vasquez put a point on the board at the 54th minute for a 2-1 score.

For the final 30 minutes, tension began to rise as the warnings were issued to Daytona State. At 73rd minute, Thais Reiss, a freshman midfielder/defender, who was fouled while in the box capitalized on a penalty kick.

Five minutes later, senior defender Kendall Pollock, scored the final goal before the game was called when lighting was spotted.

Next the Ospreys travel down to Orlando to face UCF in the final exhibition match on Aug. 12 at 7 p.m.

Regular season kick off is at Hodges Stadium on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. against Elon.

__