Spinnaker newspapers taken from racks

Spinnaker

About 3,800 of the 4,000 copies of this week’s Spinnaker campus newspaper were taken sometime between their delivery Wednesday morning and the next day. The University Police Department and Student Affairs have consulted with the Spinnaker and Center for Student Media in an effort to find out what happened.

Despite the loss of the paper, including about $7,800 total in printing costs, salary, and revenue spent by Student Government and advertisers for their ads, the Spinnaker is paying for another 2,000 issues to be printed and delivered to six locations on campus. The papers will arrive at about 5 p.m. today and will be available at the Student Union, the Courtyard, the library, Coggin College of Business, the Arena and the Fitness Center.

If you have any information that could help in determining what happened to the missing newspapers, please email editor-in-chief Josh Gore at [email protected] or call him at (904) 910-2735 or email student media adviser John Timpe at [email protected] or call him at (904) 252-7529.

The disappearance comes a week after the Spinnaker won the 2010 Pacemaker. The Associated Collegiate Press hands out the annual award, considered the Pulitzer Prize for college newspapers. It was the Spinnaker’s first win.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Spinnaker newspapers taken from racks”

1. Chad (Spinnaker Designer) on November 5th, 2010 7:24 pm

I think its horrible that someone would do this especially after we just won the pacemaker. In my three years with the paper I never thought someone would stoop this low. Especially if its for delivering the facts as we see it.

2. Breaking News: Spinnaker Papers Stolen Less Than a Week After Pacemaker Win « College Media Matters on November 5th, 2010 8:49 pm

[…] 3,800 copies of The Spinnaker, the student newspaper at the University of North Florida, were stolen earlier this week.  It is the largest reported theft of campus newspapers this […]

3. GurgenJan on November 17th, 2010 9:21 pm

Who said that capital punishment should be abolished?

Spinnaker newspapers taken from racks