Student Body Vice President Cole Poppell resigns to pursue “new opportunities”

Tiffany Salameh

Cole Poppell. Photo from Student Government website

In email sent to university officials Thursday, Cole Poppell resigned from his position as the Student Government Vice President. His last day of work will be Oct. 6.

Poppell has worked for Student Government for two and a half years filling the Student Advocate position and his current role as Vice President. The only reasoning Poppell gives for his resignation is, “it is time for me to move on to new opportunities.”

Poppell is not the first SG Vice President to resign in recent years. Former VP Jordan Wilson resigned in November 2015 and Tony Stevens in January 2015.

“This decision was difficult and not one that I made lightly, but I believe it is in the best interest towards fulfilling my career goals, ” Poppell said.

The SG Vice President goes on to address the passion he has for serving students and thanked SG leaders such as Director Celeste Watkins. He described Student Government as his second family.

Poppell said he will be working over the course of the next week to fulfill his remaining obligations as Vice President and to help facilitate a smooth transition. He directed University Committees he directly  works with to contact President Samantha Mims for his replacement.

Spinnaker will continue to investigate and update this story.

__