FGCU shut out men’s soccer

Ronnesha Rodgers

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics


North Florida’s men soccer(1-7-1 overall, 0-2 ASUN) fell to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles(4-3-1 overall, 2-0 ASUN)  in a 2-0 defeat at Hodges Stadium on rainy Sept. 30. With the loss, the Ospreys are now in a four-game losing slide.

In the first period, there was multiple scoring opportunities in the defensive matchup. Neither of the teams turned their shots into goals causing a scoreless first half.

Head coach Derek Marinatos sees the game a chance to improve in the future.

“Tough game, tough result. We were right in the game. The first half was pretty even. Tord came up with a big save in the first half,” Marinatos said.

After a foul on UNF, with roughly 10 minutes into the second period, the scoreless deadlock was broken. At 55:05 Eagles’ Robert Ferrer scored the first goal of the night off a penalty kick. This is his third goal of the season.

FGCU added their second goal behind Shak Adams who sent the ball in the upper right corner of the net to push the lead 2-0 over UNF.  With the energy high, both teams gathered two yellow cards each, but neither received red cards.

                                Photo by Matthrew Frisbee.

Despite having more saves, and less fouls, the Ospreys wouldn’t able to capitalize on their opportunities.

“[In the] second half, I liked our energy, but we didn’t create enough quality chances. We did create a few, but we didn’t take them,” Marinatos said. “Credit to FGCU. I thought we defended well tonight as a team and as a unit. They got the second goal later on in the half and we were unable to score.”

At the end of the night, North Florida had two shots on goals out of 10 compared to FGCU’s seven shots out of 11.

The Ospreys will take a short break from conference play and face College of Charleston at Hodges Stadium on Oct. 4 at 7 pm.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].