Students hold a candlelit vigil to honor Vegas victims

Pierce Turner

*Editor’s Note: According the Associated Press, at the time of publication, 59 people were reported dead as a result of the attack. The video included in this story says 58 were reported dead. 

UNF students gathered at the Student Union to mourn the recent tragedy at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas where 59 people lost their lives.

The vigil, hosted by the Muslim Student Association, was all about coming together as a campus community to grieve, even though it happened far from UNF.

“Even though we are so far away, we care about everybody, not just here,” said Ibrahim Jawhar, president of the Muslim Student Association.

Students lit candles representing the victims and stood in a circle of peace, the best we can do in a time of sadness.

“People whose families have been directly affected by these events, they’re not hosting candlelight vigils,” said Troy Capers, Junior English major. “They’re calling family, they’re in hospitals, they’re planning funerals.”

We can only do so much but one thing is for certain, “Just take a stand,” said Abubakr Hassan, Senior Computer Science major. “Say, ‘hey look we as a community can not stand for this.’”

__