Men's basketball drops to 1-1 in conference

The UNF men’s basketball team was hoping to stay undefeated in the Atlantic Sun, Saturday night, as they played host to Stetson University, in UNF’s second game in a row inside the UNF Arena. The Hatters proved to be too much for the Ospreys, who lost a 74-64 decision, dropping UNF to 4-4 for the season and 1-1 in the A-Sun.

“Obviously it’s not the result we wanted,” said head coach Matthew Driscoll. “Stetson really played well. They really competed and got after if. Very disappointed. Had a chance to be 2-0 and on top of the league. Unfortunately it didn’t come to fruition.”

The Ospreys took a 30-27 lead in to the locker room at halftime, only to get outscored 47-34 in second half, leading to the loss. Driscoll said he didn’t know why but his team did not play with the intensity they’ve played with throughout the season. He pointed out that the Hatters won what he called the 50-50 area.

“When they’re getting every 50-50 ball, and they’re getting every loose ball then obviously it bodes well for them when they make those kinds of plays because it gives them even more energy,” Driscoll said.

Turnovers, which almost cost UNF their win over Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday night, continued to trouble the Ospreys, who coughed it up 16 times. The Hatters took advantage, scoring 16 points of the UNF turnovers.

The Ospreys were led by two players, senior point guard Brad Haugabrook, and sophomore guard Parker Smith. Smith led the Ospreys with 13 points while Haugabrook added 11.

“I feel like we didn’t step on their throat,” said Haugabrook. “We had them up 7-0 and then we just let it go. We got to keep the effort up.”

The Hatters had three players score in double figures including Ridge Graham, and Corey Walden, who both scored 15 points, and Aaron Graham who added 20, including 5-6 from behind the arch.

“Stetson did a great job but obviously it’s on our part to keep up the defense,” said sophomore swing man Jerron Granberry. “You can have an off day on offense but on defense you should never have an off day.”

The Ospreys are on the road for the next two games first traveling to Big Ten country to take on Purdue next Saturday, before heading to the Lone Star State to play Texas, Dec. 14. UNF returns home Saturday, Dec. 18 to host Furman University.