Ospreys go cold against No. 19 Longhorns

The University of North Florida men’s basketball team lost its fourth game of the season to a ranked opponent Tuesday night, dropping a 70-48 decision to the No. 25 University of Texas Longhorns, inside the Erwin Center.

The Ospreys were led by swingman, Jerron Granberry, and point guard Brian Holmes who both scored in double figures with 10 points each.

Offense was tough to come by for UNF, who had 18 turnovers, as the rest of the Ospreys only accounted for 28 points. They shot a dreadful 28.3 percent on 15-53 from the field. The Ospreys also struggled from behind the arch, shooting 3-16 for 18.8 percent.

Guard, Parker Smith’s recent offensive struggles continued against the Longhorns. Just days after going scoreless against No. 19 Purdue, the Ospreys leading scorer so far this season shot just 1-6 from behind the arch and 1-7 from the field for the game for five points.

Texas was the second nationally ranked team the Ospreys went up against in a row. They lost 77-57 to No. 19 Purdue over the weekend.

The loss drops UNF to 4-6 on and the season. However, they stay at 1-1 in Atlantic Sun play. They have played a juggernaut opening schedule to start the season, something they expect to prepare them for conference play down the road.

In addition to No. 25 Texas and No. 19 Purdue, the Ospreys have played No. 15 Missouri, No. 4 Pittsburgh, and a tough Florida State University, all of which resulted in a UNF loss.

While playing against a Big 12 team was something new for his team, head coach Matt Driscoll is no stranger to the Big 12 Conference. He spent six seasons as the top assistant coach at Baylor University, before joining the Ospreys last season.

The Ospreys take the court next, after being on the road for the past two games, against Furman University, Dec. 18, inside the UNF Arena at 7 p.m.