UNF nursing students to host Wellness Workshop

Alan Ahmad

Brooks College of Health.Photo by Alexis Molinaro

Students from the UNF Nursing Program will be hosting a Wellness Workshop at the Military and Veterans Resource Center on July 11, 2018, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The workshop will involve a discussion on the importance of routine preventive health services, and free health screenings will be conducted for military-affiliated Osprey students and staff.

The health screenings will include blood pressure checks, blood sugar and cholesterol checks, and are intended to educate participants on how to conduct breast, testicular and skin cancer self-tests. The workshop will also include a more in-depth discussion regarding the risks of heart disease and early-stage detection and prevention.

The Wellness Workshop is part of the Home-Base Model Program, wherein the School of Nursing establishes a relationship with the local community.

“Home-Base Model is unique to UNF School of Nursing,” Student Workshop Leader Lera Hamm explained. “A home-base can be a geographical region, neighborhood or regional program where clusters of students, faculty and community partners engage in a long-term relationship to meet community-identified priorities through learning service learning.”

The Military and Veterans Resource Center was chosen to host this event in order to give something back to the military community on campus.

“The event is important because many chronic diseases can be either prevented or detected in early stages, that is why we raise awareness and share our knowledge with students and staff at MVRC and hope it helps them along the way,” MVRC Program Service Coordinator Theresa Hammock said.

Free coffee and donuts will also be served at the event.