UNF Sustainability Committee votes to recommend funding for People Over Plastic

Alan Vargas

On Oct. 18, the UNF Sustainability Committee met to hear a proposal for a student-led project that would seek to “increase awareness on the effects of plastic on the environment, and educate and empower the community to make a difference in their impact on plastic pollution,“ according to the People over Plastic grant proposal.

Miranda Brown, a biology major, is part of the UNF Environmental Center’s Environmental Leadership Program, which was created as a response to the question of “where is our next generation of environmental leaders?” The program looks to recruit first-year students for their entire college career. Throughout their tenure, students learn how to create and develop community projects that address environmental and social issues. The immersion also helps students to develop strong organizational skills that they can use after their time at UNF.

Miranda Brown. Courtesy of University of North Florida.

America Recycles Day is coming up on Nov. 15, and Brown’s People Over Plastic project is preparing by tabling during Market Days and increasing awareness of the impact of single-use plastic.

People Over Plastic’s proposal requested $2,220.69 from the Pepsico Sustainability Grant. If approved by the committee overseeing the grant, the project will purchase reusable grocery totes, stainless steel pints and reusable straws with cleaners to hand out during Market Days.  The project also plans to have a month-long challenge for everyone to reduce their plastic usage. The Committee voted unanimously to recommend funding the project.

The Pepsico Sustainability Grant is funded with $5,000 annually by Pepsi as part of their contract with the University.

The next Sustainability Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15.