Week of Welcome breakdown

Aisling Glocke, Managing Editor

Are you dreading going back to classes after a long break? Coming back to school doesn’t have to be all bad! Starting January 6, Campus Life will host daily activities in the semesterly event Week of Welcome to welcome new and returning students to the spring semester. Below is the itinerary for each day of the event.

The first week of Spring semester is full of fun events that are free for students with a valid Osprey1 Card. Photo provided by UNF Campus Life.

Jan. 6

Shirt Shoot

5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

The UNF Field House will be handing out free T-shirts for each student who can make basketball goal shots, soccer goal shots or a cornhole toss. Each student must make two out of 10 basketball goals. Soccer or cornhole participants must make one out of two shots to win a T-shirt.

Blue Year’s Celebration

6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

A variety of UNF resources and representatives will be in the ballrooms answering your questions about how to get involved on campus. There will be food, a DJ, giveaways and more. This event is free for all current UNF students with a valid Osprey 1Card.

Jan. 7

Treats for Trivia

9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

The Military and Veterans Resource Center invites all new and returning students to visit the space in Founders Hall, Building 2, Suite 1100. Students can Receive a gourmet doughnut and a tour for answering a military-themed trivia question.

Transfer Student Reception

5 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Transfer students can meet with representatives who will answer questions students may have about resources on campus. Refreshments will be provided.

Shirt Shoot

5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Jan. 8

Twisted Tuesday

4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Students can enjoy DIY craft at the Osprey Plaza. All supplies will be provided. All you need is your Osprey1card. This craft is on a first-come, first served basis, so make sure to arrive early.

Shirt Shoot

5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Jan. 9

Healthy Pantry Picks: Dorm Edition

11 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Students can pick up a “must-have” healthy dorm snack list from UNF’s Wellness dietitians and learn about some easy foods to keep in your dorm.

Building a Zen Den

4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Students will have the opportunity to build a zen garden with housing. All supplies will be provided.

Shirt Shoot

5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Swoop Cinema featuring ‘Black Panther’

7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Osprey Productions invites students to watch ‘Black Panther’ and enjoy some popcorn and candy with your friends. The event is free with a Osprey 1Card. Parking is free in the Arena garage after 8 p.m.

Jan. 10

Welcome Back Snacks at the Library

3 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Students can meet and connect with multicultural students, faculty and staff over light refreshments and a fun introductory activity.

Chew on This: Race and Religion

6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

The Interfaith Center and local faith leaders invites students for a discussion over dinner on how sacred texts speak to issues of race and racism.

Rainbow Welcome

6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Students can learn more about what LGBT Resource Center offers, meet their staff, and discover ways to become involved in all things LGBTQ+ at UNF and in Jacksonville.

Open Zip Line
6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Students can Join UNF’s Eco Adventure out at the Osprey Challenge Course. Students will take on the 300-foot zip line that crosses lake Oneida. This event is free, however be sure to bring your UNF student ID and a pair of closed-toe shoes.

Jan. 11

Friday Lounge

2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

The Women’s Center invites all students to the first Friday Lounge of the semester. Food will be provided.

Swoop Latin Dance Class

3 p.m. – 5 p.m.

LASO invites students to learn some Latin dances like bachata and salsa at the Student Wellness Complex.. This class is free for students with an Osprey 1Card.

Winterfest

6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

This annual event hosted by Campus Life will provide students will an evening full of fun activities and free food. This event is free for UNF students and their guests.

Jan. 12

Party in the Plaza

3 p.m. – 5 p.m.

Students can enjoy the pre-game party with free food, music and more. The event is free with your Osprey 1Card.